Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Featherweight ... it's a good thing

In my early 20s, I would slam a shot and then be drunk off my ass.
In my mid 20s, I hated my job so I loved happy hours and drank like a fish on the weekends. I could down seven drinks (shots and frou frou mixes) before I felt goo-ood.
Now I'm in my late 20s. This evening, I met a friend at this trendy little restaurant and ordered one rum & diet coke and sashimi for dinner. Ten minutes later, I was three sheets to the wind and had to order roti prata to soak it up. Because, no lie, I was tanked.
When did I become a featherweight again? Ahh, just as well ... I'm damn near "college student" broke.
Aren't I a little young to be full circle? I'm a cheap date AND poor. All in less than a decade.

Before you ask, yes, I'm still a smidge drunk. Just a smidge.

8 comments:

Veronica said...

hehehe..I'm with you! Since baby came around I stopped drinking and that jacked me up. One drink and I'm gone.
Oh, and I'm poor as hell too.

Couch potato said...

I think I am old too because I don't feel like drinking anymore. Its just too much work, I am tired. And I am poor as hell too :(

ElleDee said...

I love alcohol. I can never give it up. It's LEGAL and fun. Hot damn! So there I am, with my $8 Rum & Diet Coke. With no apologies!

demondoll said...

I love a drink. I even love two or three. I DO NOT love four.

And yes, I am poor and old...

Kim said...

I am cool with whatever you toss my way in a night. It's the next day that kills me.

ElleDee said...

Demondoll and Kim ... ladies after my own heart :)

VS said...

It's true: my interest for alcohol waned in my late twenties after a typically reckless eight or ten years or so of indulgence. I thought, "Hmm, I could probably never drink again, and be just fine." My tolerance dropped too. One drink and I'd be reaching for the aspirin. Have no fear, Padawan: your thirties will rescue from this self-imposed prohibition. Hooch is back like it was just invented. The bottle of scotch in my desk at work testifies to this.

ElleDee said...

Oh VS, another reason to adore you.
Do y'all know I have a flask with the inscription: "Who's Your Daddy?"
And my friend has a flask with the inscription: "You are, Big Papa."
Good times, good times. I'll take a photo of it sometime. If I can find it. Damn my late 20s!!!