Sunday, August 26, 2007

I tend to look a gift horse in the mouth

What does that mean?! I mean, I think I know what it means which is why I used it but after I typed it I thought, "Who the hell came up with that when all they really meant was, "I don't just appreciate when good things happen, I want to know why it happened!"" Anyway, completely off the point but I just had to express my opinion.

Husband-to-be's best friend and PookiePie came to visit this weekend. Whooppeeee! They even came along to an appointment I made at a bridal boutique - just because. So did The Man (I know, an unconventional thing to do but I want be to pretty not just for me but for him, too. And when he just couldn't express what he had in mind when I asked what he would want me to wear on our big day, I thought I'd just bring his butt along!)
I never knew how ugly and bulky wedding dresses looked on a hanger until we went to this boutique. I cringed at the dresses the consultant was giving me. They looked like 80s prom dresses! Thank goodness that these type of dresses are just the ones that are ugly as sin on the rack but a whole lot different when put on. I think the tulle, satin and/or sequins (or sparkly crap) smacked of 80s to me so that's why I hesitated. "But I thought she liked sparkles?" I do. But if it looks beadazzled, I'm not a fan.
I tried on about 10 dresses and the very first one I put on is the one that Jon and Vero really liked (Vero's honey was a non voter.) We narrowed it down to two dresses and, still, they liked the very first one I put on but they liked the second one's material. Well what-do-you-know! The favorite could come in that material, too!
In less than an hour, I had my wedding dress. I'm still going to try on the three I ordered from Nordstrom (they have a great return policy so I ordered the top three to try them on and then decide) but it looks like Jon really liked the one we saw at the bridal shop. It will most likely be that one.
It just seemed too easy. I started to have doubts at the end of the day, wondering if I picked something to just get it over with. But Pookie said if I liked it, Jon liked it, and a third party (her) liked it, it's probably it.
So yah, I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth b/c it just felt too easy.
And no, I'm not posting a picture. I guess because I think it's a whole lot prettier on and not much to look at in a picture. And I don't want to be talked out of it!!!

7 comments:

Veronica said...

we are home!! OH and we were HONORED to be a part of it!! I love it...and I just know that you are going to be EVEN more beautiful on that special day!

You guys are kick-ass host. :D Thank you!

C said...

dude...why did this post make me laugh. My best friend felt the same way and she ended up wearing a dress that she wouldnt have chosen! So yes I agree they look totally different when you try them on. My gut is..if you fell in love with it when you tried it on..then keep it. no matter how many other dresses you try on because you felt it wasn't researched enough, you're gonna go back to that dress in the beginning! hee hee....but when you choose it take a pic i wanna see!!!!!

Unknown said...

umm yeah you need to post a pic. i want to see!!! :)

ElleDee said...

Rock'nmama-The Man chose him right away as a best man (and only groomsman!) Please please please tell him not to be nervous. We're not making him do a traditional dance ;) No really, I think it's so great that they've been friends for so long and he treasures that.
C-which friend?! And did it end up pretty?
Tiff-Oh cousin, I can't! Who would have thought I'd be that girl? It's not like I want it to be a big surprise but I just don't think the photo does it justice.

demondoll said...

Oh, Mr. Pooks is SO dancing with me, and we are going show all how to bust out :-)
Cyn is right, go with your gut feeling!
Cousin is also right. When dress arrives you must send pic.

Veronica said...

I talked to him on the way home. My poor guy. He is HONORED...but at the same time...he's squirting in his pants. BUT he loves his "Jun" heheh. He say he is willing to "roll off mountains on a mountain bike...hehehe & give his bestest friend a sppech on his wedding day!"

shhh..he was already practicing....GAWD! these 7 months NEED to come quick!

Oh..my in-laws said they will NOT watch Ethan for 7 days...so he is coming. They say he won't sleep and that was torture.

Kim said...

If it's THE dress, you will know. I didn't really believe that when other people said that to me, but when I went to look for dresses, it's true...I just knew which one felt like the right one.

OK, no fair...husband-to-be got the see the dress (before the wedding, no less!) and we don't get a picture? *pout* I put one up when you guys asked... *guilt trip, guilt trip* LOL.

zammo