Thursday, August 02, 2007

Real nutrition facts, I promise

I like my job. They don't promote being skinny or looking a certain way. They're all about living healthy and education. My company is one of the many organizations supporting Mandatory Menu Labeling for all chain restaurants in California. If you think about it, it's really cool. The more information we have readily available, the better decisions we can make.

Take this quiz -

1. Which of the following breakfast items that are served at Denny's restaurant do you think has the fewest calories:
-Ham and Cheddar Omelet
-Country Fried Steak & Eggs
-Three slices of french toast w/ syrup & margarine
-Three pancakes w/ syrup & margarine

2. Which of the following items that are served at Chili's restaurant, do you think has the least salt:
-Cajun Chicken Sandwich
-Classic combo chicken & steak fajitas
-Guiltless chicken platter
-Smoked turkey sandwich

3. Which of the following items that are served at Romano's Macaroni Grill restaurant, do you think has the most fat:
-Traditional Lasagna
-Chicken ceasar salad
-Pasta Classico w/ sausage & peppers
-BBQ Chicken pizza

4. Which of the following items that are served at McDonald's restaurant do you think has the most calories:
-Two Big Macs
-Two Egg McMuffins
-One large chocolate shake
-Four regular hamburgers

The answers are in the comments.
If you want to read more about the Menu Labeling, click on this link. My organization, along with others, is the same group that advocated for sodas to be removed in public schools and that only healthy beverages can be served in elementary, middle and high schools. How cool is that?
------------------------------------------
JC UPDATE
On a completely different subject but along the same lines (does that even make sense?!) I lost two pounds my first week on Jenny Craig. I was actually surprised since I didn't start until Monday and weighed in Thursday afternoon. I am now 12 lbs from my target. Can I just say these have been the most difficult 15 lbs I've ever had to lose?! Criminy, they've been such a pain in the ass!! I'm digging the JC plan. Probably because I don't like to cook. More specifically, I don't plan ahead to purchase groceries or cook. So I'm hoping JC will be my solution since they prepare all the food for you. And once I get to my target weight, they will help me incorporate regular food into my diet. Anyway, cross your fingers for me going into the second week :)

11 comments:

ElleDee said...

1. Which of the following breakfast items that are served at Denny's restaurant do you think has the fewest calories:
Ham and Cheddar Omelet 595 cal
Country Fried Steak & Eggs (Correct Answer) 464 cal
Three slices of french toast w/ syrup & margarine 1,000 cal
Three pancakes w/ syrup & margarine 650 cal

2. Which of the following items that are served at Chili's restaurant, do you think has the least salt:
Cajun Chicken Sandwich (Correct Answer) 2,220 mg
Classic combo chicken & steak fajitas 2,660 mg
Guitless chicken platter 2,780 mg
Smoked turkey sandwich 2,920 mg

3. Which of the following items that are served at Romano's Macaroni Grill restaurant, do you think has the most fat:
Traditional Lasagna 54 g
Chicken ceasar salad (Correct Answer) 69 g
Pasta Classico w/ sausage & peppers 50 g
BBQ Chicken pizza 24 g

4. Which of the following items that are served at McDonald's restaurant do you think has the most calories:
Two Big Macs 1,080 cal
Two Egg McMuffins 600 cal
One large chocolate shake (Correct Answer) 1,160 cal
Four regular hamburgers 1,000 cal

Wasn't that interesting?

demondoll said...

Ewwww.
~why is the shake not MILKshake?
~I do love french toast- I love it.
~so now I can have lasagna whenever?
~what in the heck- why is the guiltless platter so sodium heavy?!

I'm off to drink some tap water.

Veronica said...

3 out of 4 YES!! I picked ham and cheddar for #1...close ;)

I'm still fat! hehe cause I know what's right...I'd rather drink the shake!

demondoll said...

Again, I ask why the shake at MickeyD's has no dairy.

ElleDee said...

Wasn't this quiz crazy considered we're supposed to eat around 1200 calories A DAY!? (Or is that because I'm five feet tall?! WW pulls that kinda $hit on me.)
Sister, I have no idea why there is no dairy. I always opt for the soft serve, anyway. I KNOW the Filet o' Fish is probably choke full of calories and I love that :(
Vero, very good! I didn't do nearly as well! Well, maybe if you saw the calories right next to the entree, you would want to change your choice. I know I "forget" (pretend I don't know the calories since it's not in front of me) when I order because sometimes I'm HUNGGGGRY!
I added a link if you guys want to read more about the menu labeling bill.

demondoll said...

I think we're stuck w/ 1200 cal because we's SHORT. Usually it's something like 1500. Bastards.
And get this. As we get older (me before you) we are supposed to ingest even fewer calories!
I'm going to start wearing a pedometer to make sure I get at least 10,000 steps a day. dangit.

hm, I thought WGD commented on this post earlier...

Veronica said...

august 24th is when we will come to visit!! I asked for weekends off!!

C said...

with all that nutrition classes I took I only got one thing right.

Oh the other diet service was Lindora, but you already started JC. Maybe you can try Lindora if things dont work

demondoll said...

a gf of mine used Lindora- said its $$$, but worth it to get the baby lbs off. She loves it :-)

Veronica said...

The couch p'tater posted!

demondoll said...

The posting that must be done, Lulu
:-D