Sunday, February 24, 2008

Hellllooooooooo dress

Background: I was told in September that I would receive my wedding gown in mid-January. In mid-January I was told due to Chinese New Year that I would actually receive it mid-February. Not understanding the relevance, this only frustrated me because that is like telling me I won't receive it on time because of Groundhog Day. What does Chinese New Year have to do with me?! Evidently, it comes from China and all production comes to a screeching halt when CNY comes around. Some of you wondered why I didn't go apeshit on the boutique owner. While I was sure to tell her that I was upset about the delay, I didn't feel like I was in a position to let her have it. First, it truly wasn't her fault that it was delayed. Of course, since this apparently happens every year with this company she should take this important fact into account when telling a bride when her dress will arrive - that is her fault. But there was no way she could make it come any faster. I would basically be yelling at her to make me feel better. The other reason I did not go apeshit is because you may remember that my dress is quite inexpensive because it is a bridesmaid dress. I felt that if I were to have a nasty exchange with her that she would say, "You know what? Here is your money back. This certainly isn't worth my time." And then I would be up S-Creek. So, albeit a bit uncharacteristic of me, I waited somewhat patiently until the gown arrived.

I received an email Friday afternoon from Debra (the boutique owner) who said the dress is here. FINALLY! I told her I could come by around 12pm on Saturday. On Saturday morning, I woke up early like a good little bride-to-be and went to the gym to work out. Then I drove across the bridge to go to a Vinyasa yoga class. I skipped coffee with my yoga friend so I can go back over the bridge and straight home.
I asked The Man if he would come with me to pick it up. For some reason, I didn't feel like having a friend accompany me. Jon said sure so I told him to wait for me while I took a quick shower. It was raining hard outside and since I was going to try on the dress before I took it home, it was a perfect time to wear sweats. But I didn't. This is especially odd since, because of my job, I've been looking like a camp counselor lately. I put on my warmest wrap dress, stockings and I took the time to put on my make up - like The Man and I were going out for dinner! When I told Jon I was ready for us to leave, he noticed I was dressed up and asked me why. I told him that I wanted to look nice when I saw my dress. "You got dressed up to meet your wedding gown?" I did! It sounds so strange but it's true.
We went to the bridal boutique and were told to wait a few minutes. There was a bride with her friend choosing a bridesmaid dress. The Man, because he's such a good sport and wanted to be supportive, patiently waited and thumbed through wedding magazines with me. Once the two women looked like they're going to leave, I turned to Jon and told him that he couldn't see me try it on. Now I know I was very unconventional in having help me pick out the dress. And while he did see similar dresses on me he has not seen the wedding dress on me. He looked suprised and asked, "Well, do you want me to leave?" and I said, "Mmm, you can either look away when I try it on or wait in the car." He said he'd rather wait in the car, kissed me and said goodbye to Debra the boutique owner.
Debra and I talked a few moments about the bride that was before me (the gal had come to Debra the week before and let her know she was getting married in two weeks! She actually found a dress that fit her in Debra's samples and bought it off the rack right then and there. Can you believe that? Two weeks!!) After we chatted about that, she asked, "So do you want to see your dress?" OF COURSE! She handed me a garment bag and told me to try it on. I went into the bathroom, hung the hanger on the hook and slowly unzipped the dress.
Hellllooooooooo dress.
This simple gown, this dress that was designed for a bridesmaid but the dress I chose as my wedding gown is the dress I will be wearing when both my parents walk me down the aisle. This is the dress I'll be wearing when I exchange my vows with The Man. This is the dress I will be wearing when I tell The Man why I love him so much and how much he truly means to me. This is the dress I will be wearing when I change my name for the man that I love and become Mrs. Ramirez. This is the dress I'll be wearing when we are pronounced husband and wife in front of our families and loved ones. This is the dress that I will be wearing in the wedding photos that we will eventually show our children and grandchildren.
Do you see why it was so important that I looked nice when I first met this dress?
I have hardly gotten overly emotional about this wedding (by that I mean mushy, not the fury or frustration I have felt regarding RSVPs:) I think the only thing that makes me tear up is thinking about the declarations of love we will write and say to each other. I wasn't at all emotional when I chose this dress as I wanted to get the process done as quickly as possible! (I only went to one bridal boutique.) I didn't cry or get watery eyes when I tried on my gown but, somehow, this dress became a significant symbol to me. I took it off the hanger and carefully put it on. There was no way I would get make up on this! I asked Debra to finish zipping the back of my dress.
It fit perfectly.
This was suprisingly since this dress wasn't tailor-made for me. But other than needing it hemmed considerably, everything fit perfectly. I told her I wanted to lose weight before the wedding and she told me that I could lose a few pounds but not to lose anymore because the fit is really good (I am still going to try to lose weight - I don't mind at all if I have to take it in on the sides!) I looked at myself in different angles of the mirror and was so happy, so relieved, so at content ... because I finally had my wedding dress.
Debra helped me get out of it and I put it back in the hanger (again, carefully!) and back into the garment bag. After all this time, I finally had my dress. And although it was nearly two months late, it all turned out OK. I'm sure she's used to it but I gave Debra a BIG HUG before I left and thanked her for all her help. She apologized again for causing any anxiety or distress. I walked down the stairs and down the driveway to Jon. He was so sweet - he was so cautious when he arranged the garment bag so it could hang on the hook in the car and drape along the passenger seats. He knew how important this article of clothing was to me.
As soon as we got home, I went into a different room away from The Man and I took out my wedding sandals and necklace to see how it looked with the gown. They all looked very nice together. It's now tucked in my closet, waiting to hemmed and then for the big day in one month and 23 days.

7 comments:

demondoll said...

Hooray!!!!! I know it is gorgeous and that you will be so beautiful!
When I read about how you didn't want make-up on the WD, I remembered how Expressions has filmy scarves to protect garments from cosmetics :-)
I am so happy you love the DRESS!

Unknown said...

I am so excited that it's here! I can only imagine the amount of stress that it caused you. 1 month and 23 days?? That's all I have to wait to see you??? :) :) :) I cannot wait to see you in that beautiful gown. miss you!

mrs. A said...

So fun! YAY that you finally got your dress. And horray for crossing another item off your "to-do" list before the wedding.

Now that you have your dress, doesn't it just seem all the more real... that you're getting married!?!? :) Woohoo!!!

Kim said...

Hooray for the long-awaited arrival! The gal who got her dress two weeks before reminded me of a story my alterations lady told me: she had a client who decided ON HER WEDDING MORNING that she didn't like her dress. Her wedding was at 2 p.m. and her dad drove her to the shop at 11 a.m. to pick out a new dress. All the alterations had to be done within an hour, which was very hard for the lady because those kinds of alterations are really delicate and labor-intensive. I don't get WTH people wait until the last minute like that! At least decide the day before that you don't like the dress...sheesh...

Anyway, I can't wait to see photos of you in your dress. It's all going to become so real very soon. Happy day!

bewizm

C said...

i'm glad you found a dress... I want to see a pic of you in it late ron of course.

Anna M said...

Yay! You found a dress! The big day is almost here! Time will fly!

Auntie Monica said...

Little Girl, I can't believe you and Gill are getting married. I remember when you were BORN!