Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Wedding, weight and whatever else ...

She's writing about weight AND her wedding again?! Jeezus!
Hey, if you're thinking that, I don't blame you. I would think that too. But here's the thing. Whatever I'm doing right now, it is NOT working because I'm not seeing results. Power yoga 2x a week, gym 2x a week, Jenny Craig ... it's not working. I keep going back to my I-Hate-My-(Old)-Job weight. I thought that if I went from doing practically nothing to doing the things I listed, I would go back to my standard weight. I am not secure enough to reveal the number but I will tell you it's a 13 lbs difference. And I'm not talking about going back to my skinniest. I think that isn't reasonable just now (FYI: that's a 21 lbs difference) but I think that the weight I am now, the most I've ever weighed to date, is now my standard weight - my plateau, if you will. I mean, I've changed my eating habits and have taken the initiative to work out more has not made a difference.
As I was explaining to my cousin, I want to be at my best for the wedding. Not the skinniest I've ever been but what I'm accustomed to being. Or what I was a year and a half ago. I'm uncomfortable where I am now. I realize that I was "letting myself go" and allowing myself to get away with it because (and this is horrible) I have a man and am in a good relationship. I'm not on the dating scene and I don't need to impress anyone. Part of the reason The Man is wonderful is he never makes me feel bad. In fact, he swears he cannot tell the difference between me now and me two years ago. And I figured, well, if he's happy with me, I'M happy with me. But I'm not. I miss fitting into my clothes. I miss feeling decent in a bathing suit. I miss feeling fit.
So I got a personal trainer. This was a difficult decision because I've always thought that it was a frivolous expense. I mean, I can push myself to work out. Why should I pay a person or a gym to push me? But I know I'm just not motivated enough to do more than what I'm currently doing. So I went to my gym and signed up for a trainer to train with from now until a couple weeks after the wedding. I'm also calorie counting (something I refused to do in the past because it's a pain in the ass!) because I am obviously eating more calories than I am burning. The wedding was a good wake up call. But what helped me make this decision was that I am doing it for me. Not because Jon wants me to look like I did when I met him (which, by all means, wasn’t spectacular) but I felt better about myself. What’s hard to swallow – almost harder than the fact that I’m not losing this weight on my own – is the expense. But check it out. My mom gave me a document last week, saying that I probably didn’t know it was missing but I may want it. It was a check from my old job.
WHAT?!
OK, my head must have been up my ass when I received it because I remember receiving it. I got this check two months after I left my old job. I remember that I was surprised to receive a check two months later so I had called an old coworker who quit the same time as me. She explained to me that it was the last bonus I earned before I left. All this time, I thought I had deposited it but I hadn’t. I left it at my parents’ house and forgot about it. No, I was (and am still) not in the position where I can just forget about money. But I was already at another job so I had a steady paycheck coming in. And, like I said, my head must have been up my ass. Anyway, nearly a year later, I deposited the check (yes, it’s still good!) And the hard earned money that I plum forgot about is now paying for personal trainer.
As for the wedding, there is still no news about the dress but I am in communication with the boutique. It’s coming from China to New York and she is calling the New York dress manufacturer every week to find out the date it’s coming in. I don’t understand this kooky bridal dress industry but I’m hoping that it will be in soon. I’m worried but I keep telling myself that it’s almost prom season so if worse comes to worse, Mama is looking for a white prom dress. (No, it doesn’t make me feel a ton better but I’m trying to not freak out.) My ceremony location emailed me to remind me that my checklist is due and that we need to schedule a 60-90 minute phone conference this month to discuss the details. I was a very surprised at first (I told The Man this and I think that’s a huge reason why I got the flowers) because I thought we would be handling everything through email and, if need be, phone calls. But I realize that this is excellent customer service and I am more than happy to comply with a phone conference. That is scheduled at the end of this month.
Last thing – voting. I am proud to say that I voted yesterday. I don’t know much about politics but I have to say that these are exciting times. I honestly thought I would be much older before I would see a minority and a woman vie for a party nomination. It’s truly incredible. If only one of them was gay, then it would be a liberal's dream come true :) Seriously! (And before anyone tells me that Hillary is quite conservative, I already know that. I'm just stating that it's fantastic that we have a woman and a black man being taken under consideration for the Democratic nomination.) I think that this is the most I’ve ever been excited about an election. Well, there have been post-elections that have evoked strong emotions from me - when Bush was re-elected and when Schwarzenegger was elected as governor. Anyway, I voted. I feel like I’m entitled to complaining if I want because I exercised my right to vote. Complaining to random people and not voting doesn’t mean squat because how can you make a difference if you don’t vote?
That’s all the updates for now.

10 comments:

Kim said...

I sympathize with pre-wedding weight issues. A couple thoughts: 1) because you are doing more exercise, it is possible that you are losing fat but gaining muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat, so it makes it appear that you haven't lost anything (when in reality that's not true), 2) if you're really desperate to shed last-minute pounds before the wedding, one word: Atkins, 3) oddly enough, I got too busy to exercise or do anything like that in the 2 months before the wedding, so I made sure I calorie-counted and it was enough to drop 10 pounds, so perhaps no exercise would work!, 4) I did not have weight-loss success with my personal trainer a few years ago, even though he put me on a customized diet and measured my metabolic rate and all that, but it's possible I was experiencing what I described in #1, 5) it never hurts to have your thyroid tested just to make sure everything's working properly. They can do it with a simple blood test., and 6) don't lose heart, yer still gorgeous!

As for wedding dress, that's getting a bit ridonculous. It almost might be worth exploring whether you can find another dress that doesn't have to be ordered and whether you can get a refund from the boutique. Y'know, just in case. Never hurts to have a Plan B. But don't stress, everything's going to be awesome!

ElleDee said...

OH gosh, don't say that! The personal trainer not working, I mean :) I've already given 24Hour Fitness mah monayyyy! Hehehe, I've got an optmistic attitude about it.
No, I'm not gaining muscle and losing fat. Unfortunately, clothes are as tight as ever and, when I checked my fat percentage, it was HIGH.
I'm going to try the calorie counting and working out before Atkins. You may or may not remember this but I tried it when we lived together. And I was MEAN. I was so freakin' grumpy. I hadn't lost any weight after two weeks and I was DONE. I have to have fruit and a little bit of chocolate here and there!! So yes, while I've been tracking (how Weight Watchers of me!) what I eat since the end of December, I am now also keeping track of calories.
I had a thyroid check in 2000. I was fine. Is it the kind of thing that needs to be checked regularly? (I have no clue.)
Thanks for the encouraging words, Kim!!!

demondoll said...

My circle of friends have tried the Atkins seperately, as have a couple of my in-laws. I think everyone had at least a modicum of success. But, yes. It can make ya crannnnkeeey.
You are so beautiful, you will be lovely no matter what your weight- BUT I know you also want to be comfortable, and that is just as important. I hope the PT works well for you! :-)
And dangit, don't you hate when you think you did something and then it's a month or 9 later and where is that thing? Thank heavens Mama doesn't throw anything away! (hoot)


I don't want to hear SHITE from anyone who doesn't vote.

Veronica said...

YAY for money that was forgotten. AND yay for a PT I almost got one before xmas but they are so expensive. I know my health should be the most important thing EVER. BUT we just can't afford that. I think with this tag deal we sure can afford it.

OH, and Albert and I were so VERY happy with voting. I'm super libral and I was SO happy to see a woman and minority as well. MAN, what does this FINALLY say about our country. RACE, and gender mean shit!! YIPEE!!

Oh, and...What are you all doing next weekend? Can we hang out next weekend. I would love to meet Tel. :) We will be staying in town regardless. :) So don't feel bad if you can't have us over :D

Kim said...

So sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the PT won't work...just that you should be prepared for any kind of result. I liked my PT and I enjoyed the extra motivation, but for how much it costed, I wasn't thrilled that I didn't really see any droppage in poundage.

I don't know how often thyroid needs to be checked, but I do know that my doctor orders a blood panel every year when I have my physical, and thyroid is part of the panel. What I'm certain of is that thyroid issues can crop up at any time...a friend in chorus is in her 50s and just developed hypothyroidism. However, there are some pretty recognizable symptoms when a thyroid acts up. Inability to lose weight is usually associated with hypothyroidism, as well as chronic fatigue, being cold all the time, and some other things. So unless you are experiencing any of those, I would not worry about thyroid.

I was thinking that it's very possible your body has just reached a plateau (I had/have this problem too). What usually fixes this is a completely different set of exercises, and alternating them frequently. That's something the PT can probably help you with. :)

ElleDee said...

Sister - you are so lovely, thank you for the support.
In fact, thank you ALL for the support. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir when I talk about how frustrating it all can be.
Veronica - call or email me!

Veronica said...

I looked everywhere for your email...and yesterday was crazy for me so I didn't call.

We have to see about our sitter. Albert found out last week that his dad is having (minor) surgury on TUES. So, they might not be up for watching the boy on Fri. Ya know!
Albert was VERY happy to hear that he should hang out with the man (do a guy thing). I told him...no tramps. hehe I saw he was packing some zit cream and a bar of soap. (just like the old days) hahaha
I know what they'll be doing for fun! ;) heheh

ElleDee said...

AHAHAHAHAHA!!! ZIT CREAM AND A BAR OF SOAP!!!! OMG, that's hilarious.
Keep us posted. My email address is sfhulagirl@yahoo.com

C said...

you know I've tried running, cardio and what not to lose the muffin top that I've created since D came along. Its not going away and I'm just dealing with it. SUX because I had to buy new clothes. Remember how I used to be pretty confident about my weight? now I don't. I hate my weight and I hate trying on things...I never used to think that I would get here until my first child but its horrible. I feel for you girl..its completely frustrating to hit some kind of plateau or whatever it is. I'm sure Jon can't tell but WE certainly could tell. It could just be muscle yanno..well give us updates on how the personal trainer is working out.

And, the wedding dress fiasco? I would've ripped someone a new one now because i'm so controlling when things don't go according to my time frame... you're such a trooper!

Maybe that bonus from the icky previous job helped. hee hee!

Anna M said...

DO NOT worry about wedding weight! I promise you, as it gets closer to the wedding, the pounds will fly out without you knowing it!

Just remember to breathe!