Thursday, April 09, 2009

The day we found out

Written 2/7/09 at 8:43pm

I wish it was something a lot more interesting and exciting. But truth be told, I was bored. It was a lazy day for the both of us and I was done watching my second DVD.
I knew I was supposed to get my period by now and thought, "Well, The Man bought me a pack of pregnancy tests, let's just test one out." I had actually had my blood taken at the doctor's office over a week ago and, among the many tests was a pregnancy one, and it was negative. But maybe it was too early so why not try again. Plus, I was bored.
I peed on a stick and automatically saw the dark pink line. Then, something different happened (I had used this kind of test a few years ago when I had a scare so I knew what a negative was supposed to look like) but this one, the one that I just tinkled on, had a faint pink line next to the dark pink line.
What. The. Hell. What does that mean? I can't be semi pregnant. What does a faint line mean? The illustration on the directions show two clearly dark lines. In black and white. F*ckers.
You know, I had imagined a romantic way of telling The Man. When we were just talking about getting pregnant, I imagined that when I found out, I would take The Man to a nice restaurant and, after dinner and before dessert, I would present him with a Happy Father's Day card that would have Future scrawled between Happy and Father. I imagined that I might tear and he would be speechless. And we'd hug and kiss.
Not so much. Ha, not at all. I came out in a sweatshirt and underwear as he was leisurely shopping online and waved a pregnancy test in front of his face and screeched, "What does this mean?" Of course, he had no idea that I was even taking a test. So, upon looking at his face, I screeched, "I was bored and was wondering!" He calmly asked me what the directions said and I told him that they were unclear. So we did what any couple of smart 30 year olds would do. We Googled. I swear I'm not lying when we ended up on a website, http://www.peeonastick.com/ For real.
We read how other women were confused about the strong pink and light pink lines and there were even pictures. They swore that the two lines, despite the difference in darkness, meant that it was positive.
I peed on another stick, just to make sure. Again, one dark, one light.
The Man and I looked back on the box and discovered that it came with one bonus digital pregnancy test. Sweet. I drank two cups of water and waited anxiously for me to be able to pee again.
Fifteen minutes later, I showed The Man the results. Yes. I lined them all up and started laughing. He asked what was so funny and I told him I was nervous. And excited. And holy moly, he was going to be a Daddy!
I think just about every couple names the baby some sickening cute nickname. And we are no different. I'm not different. I was calling the baby, The Bun. And I really, really, really hoped that all would be well and in nine months, I would meet a healthy and beautiful baby. So I changed his/her nickname to Sticky Bun. Because I desperately want this baby to stick around and be born.
We already love you, Sticky Bun.

I strongly recommend to not mess with anything but digital ... those lines will drive you crazy!

5 comments:

demondoll said...

Sticky Bun!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy for you and TM!!!!

Kim said...

I can totally sympathize with everything you've written, except the morning sickness...and substitute acne for eczema...but I'm right there with ya! Maybe I should find time to blog about baby. Oh, and BTW, the weight gain is totally normal. I gained 5 by the end of my first trimester, and I'm at 11 now (almost 18 wks). Doctor says I'm on track. So don't stress...it's normal to want to eat all the time!

C said...

oh man...congrats...I haven't been reading your blog..well yah know injury and all but dang congrats! I think the way you found out was authetically a Man and Lulu incident. I swear I laffed. And, sticky bun, how appropiate because I was thinking OooH..like ASIAN siopao.

dang I need to catch up on your blog.

LolaDiana said...

Oh so beautiful HOORAY!!!

jen said...

OH MY GOSH! :) so many wonderful congratulations to you and G! :D And what a freakin' fantastic story to tell your little one once it's out of the oven! hehe :D

Goodness, we're all growing up, aren't we? ;)

Wow... what a blessing, LD. Seriously, all the very best to you two (er, three!). :)