Thursday, April 09, 2009

11 weeks

Written 3/27 at 7:30am.

There are changes that a few people mention but, truly, they aren't really pointed out unless you read the baby book. So let me confirm what you may have already known or tell you stuff that no one has bothered to tell you about the miracle of pregnancy:
1. Energy is ZAPPED. I didn't know how much the baby needed or how much my body needed to whomp up a baby but WOW. I was in bed as much as possible and either trying to sleep or successfully sleeping. If I could have been in bed all day, I would have. And I think I actually did that on the weekends.
But the other part is true. Towards the end of the first trimester (or into the second), your energy does come back. This week I've been staying out of bed until 9:00pm. That is a really big deal for me because just two weeks ago, I was crawling into bed around 4:00pm. I still have a problem waking up early in the morning. I'm hoping that I will be able to get my groove back so I may go back to bootcamp three times a week - I've been going only once or twice.
2. Even though the baby is smaller than the size of my thumb, I have had to pee, sometimes multiple times, in the middle of the night every single night for at least a month. I don't get it. The baby is super small. But pee I must so pee I go. This makes it difficult, unfortunately, to have a restful night's sleep because I often stay up afterwards, pleading with my brain to shut down so I can pass out!
3. This problem probably won't apply to most people but, if you're a person who likes to sleep on your stomach, you're SOL. I thought that it would only be a problem when I had a bulging tummy but I was wrong. It's already incredibly uncomfortable and I'm trying to adjust to sleeping on my back. It's a bit awkward.
4. I already have a hard time fitting into my pants. This surprised and made me ashamed. I have lost two pounds and yet my stomach still hurts when I wear regular pants so I guess it is what it is. I find it odd, though, because it's only 11 weeks and I know the baby is super small. But I am a fan of being comfortable so I bought a couple of maternity pants and I am so thankful! Yes, one pair of jeans (at least the waist) looks like those mama jeans from the 80s with the elastic waist band but whatever! It feels GREAT.
Of course, there are the affects people DO expect like morning sickness. My sister said that I'm very lucky that it's not so bad. I am thankful for this because I have a low tolerance for pain and the nausea I currently experience is just about all I want to handle. Last month, I was nauseous first thing in the morning and then at night, around 8:00pm. Sometimes the morning sickness hits me a little earlier in the evening but I'm able to keep food down. But it was another reason why I laid down a lot - resting kept me from vomiting.
I did throw up a few times. And even though they modified boot camp for me, I threw up a couple of times from the exhaustion. But, as I mentioned, I'm glad it wasn't worse. I've learned that I don't deal well with Mexican food, though, as well as food heavy with onions and/or garlic. I also don't care for fish or meat. It's true when they say that you will develop strong likes and dislikes.
Oh, and the part about the boobs is very true. I yelled bloody murder when the puppies would step on them or leap on me and lean on them. It took all my energy not to slap The Man when he accidently grazed them or bumped into them. My chest was super sensitive. I hated it when we had to do jumping jacks or when I ran without two sports bras. They are starting to hurt less as I end my first trimester (as predicted by the baby book) and I'm so glad!
So there it is. Week 11. I have lots of worries and have gone to the lab several times and have another doctor's appointment. But I pray all the time that our baby is healthy physically and mentally. I know that any uncomfortableness I'm experiencing will be worth it for a healthy baby.
And, hopefully, in a little less than two weeks, we can FINALLY come out of the baby closet!

1 comment:

demondoll said...

I have this adorable vision of you bursting out of the baby closet!
Trust that it does get better in the 2nd tri!!!