Sunday, September 25, 2005

Happy Birthday, Demondoll!!

My sister is 40 years old today!!! She is one of THE MOST IMPORTANT people in my world. For the first 11 years of my life, she was my second mom. Of the people who have come in and out of my life, Sister has one of the biggest hearts I've ever known. She is a beautiful person who knew how to be a FANTASTIC mom before she ever had a child of her own. She also has a naughty sense of humor ;)

One of my favorite "sister" stories:
My sister lived in LA and would come to visit during the summer and the holidays. When she would visit, she would sleep in my room. On this particular visit, I was probably 15 years old. I had dozed off around 10pm but she woke me up a half hour later by nudging my shoulder. "Psst, hey. I think you're hungry." I turned, barely opening my eyes, "Hummrrrgh?" Sister shook me a little again, "I said, I think you're hungry. I think you want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich." Still groggy, I replied, "Huh?" Sister persisted and said, "I think you want a PB&J. Toasted." I didn't question her and just got up. As I left my room, my sister added, "Oh! And you also want a glass of milk." I went downstairs, still half asleep, and toasted two pieces of bread. Dad usually stayed up late to watch TV so he was already downstairs when I prepared "my" sandwich. "What are you doing?" he asked. "Uhh, making a sandwich." Looking perplexed, he asked, "You're hungry?" I replied, "Well, sort of." In my drowsy state, I made the sandwich, poured a glass of milk and went back upstairs. My sister was waiting patiently, reading her book when I came back to my room. She took the snack from me and I went back under my blankets. (She at least said thanks.) I fell back asleep, not really knowing that I got conned.

Now that's a big sister for you.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SISTER! I love you.

2 comments:

demondoll said...

Say, was this the same visit where I slept on sheets that still had crumbs from your last slumber party? :D
I love you! Thank you for the sweet wishes!!!
(Cutie Mslips- I think we do them cuz we can! hee-hee!)

ElleDee said...

I think that was when I was 16 years old! (Background: My best friend at that time slept over the week before. We ate tortilla chips on my daybed trindle while watching a movie. Although I see the error of my ways NOW, back then, I thought, "My best friend's clean and she only slept in that bed for one night. I don't NEED to change the sheets again for my sister." Sister slept in it a week later, indignant to finding tortilla grit in her sheets. Oops.