Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Knowing when it's over.

I saw this beautiful shawl and was convinced that I could make it. This sneaky yarn store suckered me with all its cuteness and charm and examples of how you can use their expensive yarn to make "simple" projects. Then I had this brilliant idea. I could make my mom this shawl for Mother's Day. So I bought two balls* of this kid mohair yarn at nearly $25 a pop. Dang.

The yarn label suggests to use size 5 needles but to make this delicate shawl, the Yarn Place said to use size 15 needles. And if you were wondering, yes, Mother's Day has come and gone (how sick would it be if I was already thinking about next year's M-Day? Please!) and it's not even half way done. I have been working on this damn shawl for four months - I took a break in July because (a) it was too hot and (b) I couldn't muster the patience. It was suppose to be simple knitting!

Just recently, I set my mind to finish it. I even brought it to Tel's house so I can finish this freakin' thing because I don't want to start another project without finishing my first one. Well, I had to undo some parts AGAIN and I just realized, I HATE this shawl. I hate doing it and it's just not giving me that warm fuzzy feeling. And it sure as hell isn't giving me instant gratification. So I unraveled the whole thing. And it felt gooooood.

I don't think of myself as a quitter. I'm pretty gung-ho about most stuff. But you know what? You just got to realize when it's over. And my pathetic patch of a shawl was OVER. There is now a spring in my step and little bit of giddyness knowing that I get to start a new project!

*Ball, skean, I'm still learning the terminology. I'm brand spankin' new to knitting so bear with me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, you certainly weren't enjoying it while you were at my house. Nice work! I fully support your right to take things apart and start over! Or not!

Veronica said...

Why is it that women try so hard to do what our mothers do so easily? Sucks huh?
I just say screw it girl...go buy her a shawl.

demondoll said...

I feel you. Been knitting this d*mn sweater since April, and only have front and back panels finished. No sleeves, it looks like a chain-mail vest! Embarrassing, really... mebbe it will be ready by Christmas...

ElleDee said...

When I should have quit? Mother's Day was fast approaching. I happen to be in Chinatown with The Man and found this beautiful green variegated shawl for $12. That's right, $12. Less than 1/2 the price of one ball of mohair. Sheesh.

Veronica said...

Girl....$12! (It was the man's fault huh? He says your froogle, but sheesh that was a good deal!)