Monday, December 12, 2005

AL's Christmas present

It is difficult to find a good present for the Alpha Lion. If she likes something, she'll usually buy it. And since she has more money than me, this makes finding a great Christmas present pretty challenging.

Since I'm waiting for my Hawaii pics, I figured I'd show you this:
I knitted this scarf with size 15 needles, Adriafil Gold yarn (the fluffy stuff) and Electra plymouth yarn (the delicate stuff.) This is how I coped with my six hour flight. Since going to the Philippines is more than triple that time, I have no complaints. I'm just saying that knitting this scarf is how I amused myself. I already saw the movie, "A Beautiful Mind" and I passed on the $5 croissant sandwich (ick.)

AL's specialty is crochet but I know she can appreciate knitted apparel. I have to brag that four of the flight attendants and one passenger stopped by my seat and admired my scarf. I have to say this because, while this was a simple knit stitch, the yarn was a bit tricky and I lost count a few times. OK, many times. I also told them that I couldn't take credit for the idea of putting the fuzzy stuff at the ends. The pattern calls for 80 stitches across to make a shawl. Knowing full well that I had no patience for that, I cut that in half and called it a scarf. I also didn't have the money (this yarn was expensive!) My friend was laughing at me because my project was causing a bit of commotion but I didn't care. In fact, I'm glad they liked it. This was one of those projects that, as I was progressing, started to alarm me. I couldn't tell if it was funky cute or downright gaudy.
A few of them told me that they had similar yarn and they were going to buy the fuzzy yarn and copy this style. I say, cool. So if you see someone knitting a scarf like this, there's a good chance they were on the plane!

If you remember way back when, I talked about a glorious money pit called The Yarn Place in Capitola. I FINALLY did something with my purchases! I hope AL likes it. If not, I will yank it back, throw it around my neck and you will see a picture of me wearing it accompanied with a colorful entry. Nahhh, AL is actually very cool. She is always good about complimenting D-Doll and I when she knows we worked hard on something.

3 comments:

demondoll said...

That is beautiful. Que bella! She's gonna love it! (Now I suck- I just bought a hat... it's pretty, but she'll have to wait til spring for anything made from me. I'm in sweater hell)

ElleDee said...

Thanks Karaway! I appreciate your kudos. I'm hoping my mom loves it too.

Sister, you don't suck! You're much more knitting advanced than I. I am merely your student ;) As for your sweater ... you go girl. You are so patient. I would balled it up and set it on fire. You're right, "volcanic temper" is a perfect description.

Veronica said...

I Love it!...you go girl...with your "mad knitting skills" hehe