Thursday, December 01, 2005

Do the hustle!

OK, so I have less than 24 hours until I'm off to one of my most favorite places in the world. And being typical ME, I still have to take care of two things before I go. You're thinking, "No big deal" right? Humph. Because I need to unload somewhere, I'm going to do it with you.

1. Must go churchin'. D-Doll is probably gasping right now. Some background: I told my sister I would never write about this very very sensitive subject because, well, our Alpha Lioness (aka Mom) is very religious. AL was determined that if her husband wasn't going to join her religion, her children would. And we did. And then we left. Well, sister managed to get out but she also moved out of state and gave birth to the golden child (aka The Boy.) Then there's me. I'm the baby of the family. And continue to live in the Bay Area. And have no golden child to appease AL. So technically, I'm still in AL's church even though I've made it quite clear it's only because it makes her happy. Of course, she chooses not to remember that detail and is happy as a clam that I still belong. [Since I know my lovely readers, I won't even begin to go into the innerworkings of mother-to-daughter guilt, AL's fervent belief in her religion, and how my life is a million times better and easier just going along with this charade as oppose to standing up to AL. It's all about choices, people. And knowing which battles to pick with AL. I'm saving up all my stamina for when I tell her that I will not be getting married in the church. Got to stop thinking about it. My powers are draining and I've got to store as much as possible.] So why do I bring up churchin'? Well, in AL's church, I have to go to a special prepatory sermon (like a prerequisite) in order to be allowed to attend a very special worship service at the end of the year. Well, that special prep sermon is scheduled for tomorrow and I'll be on a plane. This will not do for AL. She asked me if I could change my flight schedule to leave Sunday afternoon or if I could attend the sermon in a church in Hawaii. Uhhh, no to both, I replied.

Come hell or high water, AL is not having her baby miss this prep sermon! So what am I doing today? Driving with AL and Dad for 200 miles (approx. 100 each way) to Sacramento and back because it's the closest city with a church that is having the prep sermon today rather than tomorrow. And yes, this is STILL easier than fighting with AL about it. The service isn't until 7pm but we're leaving around 12pm to hit the outlets on the way to Sacramento. Hey, I had to get some sort of joy out of this excursion. Yup, 200 miles. I'm a sucker for AL. She's one tough broad (I mean, TOUGH. Don't let the 4'9" package fool you ... you'd be awfully stupid) but this is so important to her and in the grand scheme of things, I really don't have to do much to make her happy. I just keep telling myself, "Outlets ... you like the outlets."

2. Pack. My own damn fault. I never pack until the night before. And since I'll be coming home around midnight, that's when my a$$ will be packing. Why do I put it off? Well, I only have only so many unmentionables and I wear them during the week. So they need to be washed, and then I pack them and then some more for my trip. Same with makeup, clothes, and toiletries. Maybe I just won't sleep.
In case I don't' sleep on the plane, I'm also packing my knitting along with my iPod to keep me busy - I'm happy about that. I may also partake in an alcoholic beverage, too. Not sure if that will loosen me up or just make me sick. I'm a little nervous about that. One thing is for sure ...

My friend and I have decided to milk the birthday thing while we're in Hawaii! We're going to say that my birthday is the reason why we're on vacation (it really isn't, it's just coincidental) and see if we get any bonus stuff. Every time we shop, eat, or drink, she's going to point at me and shout, "It's her birthday!" Granted, Hawaii is the wedding destination of the world so a birthday is probably ho-hum to them but it's worth a try ;) Maybe there's a special Hawaii song and birthday dance. You know, like Chevy's little diddy, "Uno, dos, tres, quatro! Happy, Happy Birthday .. blah blah blah blah .." You get my point. Luckily, I don't embarrass easily. Plus I plan on being drunk for most of the trip.

Since this is my last entry for a week, I hope that you have a great next week and I'll catch up with your blogs when I get back. Alooooooohaaaaaaaaaaaa!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Aloha! :) Have a beautiful, wonderful time!

(We should have a pow wow about AL and the religion thing. Lordie.)

demondoll said...

You CANNOT keep blaming me for Borealis' crazy churching! jk;)Moms is a force to be reckoned with, or in my case I duck and cover just like for bomb. You are definitely the better woman. Please don't out the Catholic- it would bode so ill for both of us. Yikes!
I hope you have a safe ride back, and have a wonderful vacay- guilt free! Everlastingly in peril, but devotedly yours- d-doll

Veronica said...

hope you are having a blast!! I miss you!

demondoll said...

just a side note- we live 90 miles from Seattle. So you do get used to the drive... :)

demondoll said...

Are you home yet?! I miss you!