Saturday, April 22, 2006

Speaking of mistaken ethnic identity ...

At my new job, I work with someone who graduated from the same university. He was also a big part of the Filipino organization that I briefly interacted with when I participated in its Pilipino Culture Night aka PCN.

Yes, California is so packed full of Filipinos that we have clubs at almost every college and university. A "PCN" is a huge yearly event when the club showcases traditional and modern dances, cha-cha, and some acting. You don't have to be Filipino to participate but most are, by default. Almost every club has a PCN. Scary, ain't it? ;)

Of course, we exchange names to see who we both know. Never mind that there are over 28,000 students. We stick to the Filipino organization people b/c we figure we would have a better chance. Surprisingly, or not so if you're Filipino, we knew a few of the same people.
Later in the day, my coworker (we'll call him PB for "Pinoy Boy") says to me fron his desk, "Guess who I just talked to on the phone?"

"Who?"
"Bing. Do you remember him?"
"The one with the hair?" Gesturing as if I have a big afro. PB nods to confirm my guess. "I loved his big hair!" I did. I didn't know an Asian guy could have a stick straight afro. But he did. I was always impressed when I saw it.
"I'm going to call him back and see if he remembers you!" says PB.
"Mmm, maybe not. But you can try."
I hear PB on the phone, "Hey. I have a new coworker who used to go to State. Do you know a girl named Lulu?"
Listens.
"Well, she was in a PCN a couple years back. You know, Lulu." insists PB.
Now I'm just thinking, Bing has no idea who PB is talking about.
PB smiles, "Yup! That's her! OK, well, I'll call you later. Bye!"
He turns to me and says, "He remember you! He paused when I said your name. Then Bing asked, "Is she the one that's Filipino but doesn't look it?" and I said, "Yes!""

I had told PB earlier that day that when I auditioned for PCN, I didn't know a soul because I wasn't active in the Filipino club. Of course, everyone else knew each other. But after a few months, I got to know some people.
After one of our rehearsals, a guy asked me, "So, what made you decide to join PCN?"
I replied, "I was in a PCN at my old college and I wanted to be in one here before I graduated."
Guy then said, "Oh that's cool. Are you also active in La Raza?"
Me, with a blank expression, "Huh?"
Guy, looking a little confused, "Aren't you Mexican?"
Me, now thinking he's special, "If I was Mexican, why would I join a Filipino cultural event?"
Guy now a little indignant, "I thought you just appreciated other cultures."

I guess that could have been true :)

6 comments:

demondoll said...

LOL! Remember when I worked at EastWest Players? I was talking to one of the other actors, and I mentioned something about filipino food, and he exclaimed,'You're Filipino?! You should really let them(artistic directors)know you're Asian! I mean if you're interested..."

Veronica said...

Ahahaha!! Nothing wrong with that! Right???!!

When you get married...your NEW last name will fit the face. hehehe


Yes, I must admit...I knew before I met you that you were Filipino. But truth be told, I had an old friend I knew since we were oh....4 years old. You look dead on like her!

No joke.

Her name is Laura and she is straight up Mexican. I told that to the Tater and she was like "yeah...SHE does look Mexican."

I know you have the Asian eyes...but that don't mean shit no more. Just look at my son, the boy has Asian eyes.

One lady at Walmart asked if he was Asian, I was like No. Doesn't he look Mexican? She just started and asked who was the dad. I looked at her puzzled...(that bitch, she thought I was a drunken whore, who forgot who I slept with!)
I said, "you see that man paying in line"..."Yes" she replied. That's his daddy, my husband. I still don't think she believed me cause she waited...until Albert came up to me.

Then she believed. That BITCH!

ElleDee said...

HAHAHA, pookie! You must give people hell simetimes. I can't wait to see you in action. Hopefully it won't ever be directed towards me ... I'll duck!

Sister definitely looks Mexican. She has no slant, whatsoever. She used to be the little brown nut in the family but now she lives in Rain Country. So now I'm the little brown nut!

Couch potato said...

Yes it is true I thought you were Mexican too. I thought it was cool that the man was dating a Mexican girl until I found out you were Filipino too.

demondoll said...

Oh, I love a big, f'd up fro!! :)

ElleDee said...

*head nodding* afros are quite glorious.