Friday, April 07, 2006

Take this job and ...

Last night was my Going Away party. My friend, who's also in charge of work events, asked me what kind of going away party I wanted. I asked for a small, intimate party at a very cute restaurant called Lure (it's four months old and looks straight out of Sex and the City. So if you're in the Peninsula, stop by, it's fabulous! OK, that was my plug.)

My party was a dutch event and I was A-OK with it. See, here's the thing. A lot of people have their going away party either at Chevy's or Red Robin. I'd rather have a dutch event at a nice place then have the j-o-b pay for everyone and their mama to eat at a mediocre restaurant. I'm not a snob but I wanted my party to be at a place that was pretty. Why? I want a place to have a nice enough atmosphere that I enjoy it when I come in stone sober and come out drunk as a skunk.

That's right, bitches, I got drunk. I had a glass of wine at another restaurant (before Lure opened.) Once at Lure, I proceeded to have another glass of wine and two glasses of a champagne mix concoction. Luckily, I ate the asian crackers they had out as well as dessert. Because Lulu loves her some dessert.

It was a WONDERFUL going away party. I was faded, laughing it up, and having a grand ol' time. Our waiter, a cool mister named Michael, asked me what I was going to be doing at my new job. I said, "Staffing Manager." He looks puzzled. My friend Maria, a little tossed herself, said "She sells people." So I went with it and told him that I was a pimp. In his proper voice, he said "Great, then I'll be your ho." When my soon-to-be-ex-boss arrived a few minutes after us, Michael introduced himself. "Good evening. I understand that this party is for her," pointed to me, "she is my pimp and I'm her ho." My boss was stunned that this could come from such a refined gentleman. She turned to me, "What did you do to him? You've only been here for 10 minutes or so!" And that's pretty much how the night went.

I have the BEST ex-coworkers. Normally, I don't list what I get as presents on my blog b/c I feel like I'm bragging. But dammit, my friends did a great job!
- The company gave me a gift certificate for a deluxe spa pedicure and manicure at my favorite nail salon, Pinkies. And guess who happens to have an appointment today at 1:30pm for that exact package? (Again, the result of having a friend who's in charge of also buying company gifts!) It was a present to myself that I booked earlier this week but now it's on the j-o-b. Sweet.
- My two closest friends gave me a $100 gift certificate to Ann Taylor. They both know that I will most likely go broke ass buying new clothes. Aren't they very thoughtful and generous? They also happen to be the culprits who introduced me to this oh-so-lovely store. But I'm not placing blame ;) I love them so much!
- And then another coworker went to my favorite knitting store, Nine Rubies, and bought a beautiful needle case that I've been coveting every time I go into the store but is way too pricey for me to justify.
- The j-o-b also extended my free gym membership for another year. I was VERY excited to hear that b/c there was no way that I was going to be able to pay $63/month.

I loved my going away party. And by the time it was over, I was in no condition to drive. Tod, a former coworker himself (and also one of the people that I drank with on Tuesday) was nice enough to drive Maria and me to her house. We stopped by a coffee shop with the hope that it would sober me up. It didn't. Tod dropped us off and Maria and I barged into her home to the dismay of her boyfriend. Poor Maria's honey. Around 10:00pm, he had to help Maria (b/c I was STILL in no condition to drive) get her car AND my car back to their place. They let me crash on their couch. Today, I woke up at 4:50am and drove my butt home.

Thanks to lots of water the night before and three Advil before sleeping, MamaLu's head doesn't hurt. I go into work this morning to tie up loose ends, get my mani/pedi, knit a little bit and then go to another going away party. At Red Robin. I think I won't tempt fate and opt for Diet Coke*.


*The Shampoo Drinking Theory: It is believed that there is still enough alcohol in your system the next day that if you drink again, it is a lot easier to get drunk again and that you do not need nearly as much alcohol as the first time. Just like when you shampoo your hair the first time versus the second time. You don't need nearly as much shampoo the second time to work up a good lather.
I THINK I came up with this theory but, then again, someone may have told me this when I was drunk and I plum forgot.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it came from XT or Dana who called it the Lather Effect. :)

Congrats on your new job, hunnybunny! Let's go celebrate soon!

Couch potato said...

You so Crazy. Sounds like fun.

I wondered why you weren't online last night. But now I know why you was too Drunk, you crazy Lush you make a girl so proud.

demondoll said...

Lookie here I commented before, but it didn't take-
Heck yeah, they were going to show some appreciation for all your hard work! And I love that your membership is extended- huge :)
I know the tables smell like old towel, but the grown-up shakes at red robin are delish.

ElleDee said...

Just so y'all know, I never got shat-faced at a company party but since this was my big send off, I figured, What the Hey? Between just four or five coworkers, (the others refused to join in but isn't laughing at the sin just as bad?) the following words were said sometime throughout the night (I'm using letter substitution so nasty people who are using a word search WON'T end up on my site. I can't help it that you're already here):
P*ssy
Vagina
Vaganus
D!ck
Pen!s
Pen!s Pocket
Mother F*cker
F*ck
Sh!t
Poon
Tang
Vajay-jay
C*ck
C*ck sucker

And that's all I can remember. Good times, good times.

BpSnake (PJ Daddy) said...

Owww, my eyes are burnin' from your above comment, cuz! :-P

All those dirty words, I'm gonna have to wash at least twice... probably needing less soap the second time, huh! ;-)