Monday, April 24, 2006

Why I love romantic comedies

I do ... it's true. I love romantic comedies. Most likely, if you're my friend, you want to knock me upside the head because they are sappy movies and you are sarcastic. And slightly bitchy. Which is probably why I adore you.

I can watch 50 First Dates, My Big Fat Creek Wedding and the Wedding Singer over and over again. Those kind of movies remind me what it's first like to fall in love. The heart going pitter-patter, the bumbling awkward moments, the late night calls because you just want to know everything there is to know about the person. And then some. I love the crazy things in movies that characters in love do for one another because you love the person that much. One of my favorite goofiest scenes? When Heath Ledger sings and runs around a high school stadium, accompanied by a marching band, to woo Julia Stiles in 10 Things I Hate About You. That kind of stuff melts my heart. Control yourself. I know you want to bitch slap me for being so corny. I can't help it.

I know that being in love is the best. I mean, I can't deny that things change and people get comfortable. I can't deny I'm comfortable too. Past-midnight calls don't amuse me like they once did - I get up way too early for that. I also don't go to the farthest bathroom humanly possible like I did when we first started dating. The jig is up - he knows I poop. So I can't really complain when he shows just how comfortable he's become, too. Because, despite all the hard times, nothing beats someone knowing which side is YOUR side of the bed. Or someone knowing you so well that, just by looking at your face, he knows you need a big fat hug and some major cuddling.

Some people may have the best of both worlds - being in a long-term relationship and the lovey-dovey stuff that usually only occurs in the "honeymoon stage." If you're one of those people, though, don't even think about commenting on my blog to tell me that.

I wouldn't trade what I have for the "newness" part of a relationship. But you gotta love the goofy songs Adam Sandler sings to Drew Barrymore. In both movies.

7 comments:

Veronica said...

Girl...just wait till you get married.

hehehe

That is all I have to say...for now!

demondoll said...

What's a movie?

Couch potato said...

I like all those movies too, but don't tell anyone because it makes my Bitch stock go down.

I thought I was the only person who liked 10 things I hate about you. I can watch it over and over, hehe.

Auntie Sassy said...

I miss kissing new boys. The husband doesn't really approve of it...so much...at all...

ElleDee said...

Pooks, why does that sound like a threat?
Ddoll ... girllll, I would say let's go to a movie when I visit but we have so many better things to do :)
Tater, I can watch romantic comedies over and over. They have to be good, though. I have "Hitch" but I don't care much for it.
Tsk, tsk, tsk, Sassy ... you got a husband who doesn't approve of you kissing boys? WTF? ;)

Unknown said...

I think the more I'm with my honey, the better it gets. I just love being in love. :)

(But I don't fart or poop. That he knows of.)

demondoll said...

I own TrulyMadlyDeeply. The 1st time I watched it I cried so hard I got a migraine. Had to call in sick... wait, I guess that's not so much a comedy? But it was funny too!