Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Meet my best friend ... and a new bathroom ally

Even though I've gained about five pounds, I've had trouble sleeping since nearly Day One of this pregnancy. I was just uncomfortable from the get go. And when I wanted to sleep with more pillows, I knew it was time to bring out the big guns. Specifically, the Snoogle.
When I was pregnant with The Bun and became uncomfortable at night, I tried using several pillows. Then I bought a body pillow similar to this for $20 at Target. It did the trick for a few weeks but then I was having restless sleep again. I was skeptical to buy anything else because what if that didn't work? I don't think you can return a pillow and then I would be stuck with this huge thing that I would have to throw out because it took up too much room and wasn't even helping me sleep.
Thanks be, I decided to put the Snoogle on my baby registry even thought it was for me and not The Bun. I mean, happy mama = happy baby, right? Well, a good friend went and bought it and it has to be one of the best baby shower gifts I received.
I had bought a nice sage-colored cover for it shortly after the baby shower but the damn thing pilled almost immediately. So when The Man unearthed it this time around, I went and bought this cover for it:
I know, it totally clashes w/ the quilt but it helps me sleep better so I got over that real quick. It also has a zipper unlike the sage one which folded over like a typical pillow cover. The zipper makes it so much easier to put on.
I still wake up once a night but the Snoogle has helped tremendously. When I have it face the other way and it's more in the middle of the bed, I often find my husband cuddling it when I wake up! And when The Bun sleeps with us one a week, I also find her spooning this pillow. It is an amazing invention.

This might be narcissistic (the fact that I'm writing "this might be narcissistic" kind of guarantees that it is, doesn't it?) but I was reading some old posts from 2005 and I found myself laughing at the the things I wrote about. I admit, and The Man always tell me, that I crack myself up. Doesn't everyone crack themselves up? I mean, if you don't get your humor then who the heck will?
Anyway, I miss it. I miss remembering to write things down that make me laugh so I can look back and laugh all over again. There are so many small incidents that happen in my life that brighten my day. I want to do that again, if I can.

This isn't necessarily funny but worth a mention. At my job, there are unisex one-toilet bathrooms that have poor ventilation. Let me be frank - one is at the end of the hall near the stairs and when one of the dudes blows it up, it makes the whole first floor reek. When it's really bad, like exotic food hitting someone the wrong way, it wafts through the air so potently that it also hits the second floor. MY floor.
Anyway, it happened one fateful day and my poor colleague on the 1st floor had to shut her door because it was so bad. When I got a whiff of it, I called her and she confirmed that the 1st floor bathroom was the victim of a lunch gone bad in a poor man's stomach. We joked how we wished the smell could be seen (for example, purple smoke) so we could get some warning and try to shield ourselves from the offensive odor. She then went on to tell me that she read somewhere about PooPourri and maybe we, as a department, needed to purchase it for occasions such as these.
I had not heard of it so, because I'm a curious gal, immediately looked it up online. The description reads:
  • Stop embarrassing odor before you go. This bathroom freshener's natural essential oils create a film on the surface of the water, trapping odor at it's source.
  • The x-large 8 oz bottle is the perfect size for your busiest bathroom at the home OR office
  • Up to 400 uses.
  • All-natural, non-toxic, biodegradable. Never tested on animals.
  • Made in the USA.
"What an interesting product!" I thought. Then I promptly forgot about it because I had a ton of work waiting for me.
Imagine my surprise when this showed up on my doorstep. Literally -
When I went to look it up, I evidently put that bad boy in my Amazon cart and The Man, when he signed on to order something else, thought I had wanted the PooPourri but forgot about it and kindly ordered it with his stuff. He promptly forgot all about it. So when I asked him why he ordered it, he said, "Well, I thought you wanted it because you put it in the cart."
So there it is. The Man and I are unexpected owners of PooPourri.

3 comments:

jen said...

haha :) That reminds of me of this japanese product we get in Hawaii... I forget the name...but you put a few drops into the toilet and it's supposed to keep the bathroom smelling "normal", no matter how smelly you make it.

That Snoogle looks dreamy!

ElleDee said...

The Snoogle IS dreamy. Miss you, Jen! And your blog entries:) No guilt, just wanted to let you know that you have a reader when you're good and ready;)

ElleDee said...

The Snoogle IS dreamy. Miss you, Jen! And your blog entries:) No guilt, just wanted to let you know that you have a reader when you're good and ready;)