Tuesday, November 21, 2006

SF Hula Girl is BACK!

Me and my old hula sisters hammin' it up at a dance festival in 2003.

Hula was something I wanted to learn back in 1996. It wasn't until my then-boyfriend and I broke up in 2000 that I really did something about it and joined a San Francisco halau. Five years later, I stopped dancing because I never made the time to practice and to do anything well, you've got to practice! I had also moved back to the East Bay and had to deal with a round-trip two hour commute just to go to class.

It's been nearly two years since I left. And lately I've been feeling like I need an outlet. Something to look forward to other than going home after work! I've been wanting to check out a local halau that my former teacher worked with for a performance. I attended my first class last night. So far so good - it is less than 1o minutes away from my house! The teacher seems cool, if not unorthodox (we were doing hula warm ups to an old Michael Jackson song. Never done that before.) Unlike my first halau where there were over 100 students learning in a school cafeteria, this class had less than 10 people in a dance studio. I like it, even though I feel like such a beginner! I may need to sign up for private lessons just so I can catch up.Wish me luck!

Here's to healthy outlets, *raising a glass* cheers!

3 comments:

Kim said...

You're like Lilo!

demondoll said...

Sister is back in the game- wootka!
So, you get more attention in a smaller class, right? Even better!

ElleDee said...

Thanks for the support!
Kim - no NOT like Lilo. Well, I guess so. I've WANTED to keep some people the beat down but not in hula. More like work.
Damn it. I try to be good! But I slip up once in a while.
Cyn - you go girl! I miss our unhealthy outlet. I'm glad we don't smoke either. But I can miss it.
Sister - I hope so! I really really hope so. I need something just for me :)