Sunday, November 05, 2006

I used to have a kitchen ...

Well, not that I cooked much. But still. I used to have a kitchen. Now I have a puppy play area which happens to have a fridge and a sink.
Yes, those are real baby gates. Which, by the way, the more expensive one on the left is great because it swings open. I am concerned, though, about the expanding and retracting feature and how you can't lock it into place. All I could keep thinking was, "Tiny fingers could get smashed! Tiny PAWS could get smashed!" But it's very handy. Anyhow ...
A friend who owns a puppy asked me how life has been for me/us. What's funny is before I had Piko, I probably wouldn't have thought to ask that question to a couple. I mean, I know it's serious business to have a pet, believe me. This is why I haven't had one in nearly seven years. I knew I couldn't handle or wanted the responsibility! But, even knowing all of this, I have to say it's so much different having a dog as an adult in comparison to when I was a kid. (And believe me, I keep thinking, "My poor childhood dog!")
I'm not going to lie. It has been taxing on The Man and me. We don't necessarily fight about her but our nerves are shot from lack of sleep, extensive cleaning and constant supervision of a furry little body. There is very little down time anymore! I didn't notice it until today, and The Man also pointed out, that we aren't as affectionate or even talkative because it's all about her. But there are upsides, too. Even though The Man wanted a big ol' Doberman (I will repeat, I just don't see me cuddling up to a Doberman,) he has really taken to Piko. He has a hard time disciplining her and he will stay in an uncomfortable position just because she fell asleep on his lap. He's also been kind to me and my needs. Knowing how uncleanliness gets to me, he researched extensively and bought us a top-of-the-line SteamVac so we could thoroughly clean Piko's messes. Over and over again. He's also the best at detecting an "elimination" in progress. I'd say he has a 80% success ratio in getting Piko to the peepee pad before she leaks or pops a fatty. (Hey, you think that's gross, try SMELLING it and, all the while, praising her for getting it on the pad!) He's also the one who installed the baby gates and a doggie door that we will be introducing to her soon.
Despite the lack of sleep, adult conversation and social life, I really am glad we have Piko. She really IS great practice for a real one. I know, a puppy isn't the same but what a remarkable simulation ;) Oh, and as mentioned, I have start a Dogster.com page for her so there will be a healthy outlet for my obsession with taking pictures of Piko without subjecting all you lovely people.

1 comment:

demondoll said...

You do not need a dogster page. I am perfectly happy to read posts about Piko. I expect posts about Piko. I demand them.

You and G-Unit need a date night. Seriosly, you need to drop Precious off at Mom and Dad's on an early Sat nite and go out. No discussion of puppy allowed. Do whatever you all do that I don't wish to know about, then pick up Piko all refreshed!