Friday, May 04, 2007

All you princesses will appreciate this story

I love spa treatments. Obviously.
Earlier this week, after a meeting, I talked with a new colleague, letting her know that I used to work and play on the Peninsula even though I live in the East Bay. But now that I work where I live, I want to embrace my new playground. This means spas and salons. Nail, that is. I refuse to leave my hair stylist - we have eight years together.
Anyhow, my coworker said there was a spa she and her boyfriend tried in Fremont and she liked it. She warned me that it isn't as pretty as
Burke Williams but she really liked her massage. Well, pretty is as pretty does. I only like BW because of it's environment but none of the massages I've received from there were very good. She assured me that she and her boyfriend really liked their massages. But ... the layout is a little odd.
"What do you mean?" I ask.
"Well, they have a Chinese buffet in the lobby." She replied.
"What?!"
"Umm, and they also take numbers in the lobby. Like a supermarket."
I told her she just had to take me there. I wanted to see it for myself.
So we immediately drove to a
Perfect Day Spa. (Check out the link for pictures. I don't think there are any of the buffet.)
The place had hard wood floors and was spacious. And yes, there was chinese food in the front lobby. And a red number dispenser prominently placed where the receptionists sat. They gave us a tour and it was nice enough. They even had a special - $48 for your first treatment.

Lots of thoughts were running through my head. But my colleague swore that she got a good massage. And, as someone who has frequently visited a third world country, I've learned to be open minded about things that are not typically American. And I could TOTALLY tell this one was ran by Asians. (I'm Asian, I can write that. Plus, I really could tell.)
So I signed up for a hot stone massage. Heck, I can spare $48 to check this place out.
Some things I found out:
- They make you take off your shoes when you leave the lobby and go into massage area
- While I had a blanket covering me, the bed was lined by tissue. Like a medical office.
- Hot stone massage to them meant they placed stones on my body and massaged around them.
- Curtains as walls just aren't the same
- I can hear EVERYTHING
There were some positives. My lady was pretty good. She made sure she got the right pressure so she wouldn't hurt me. And the place was clean.
But I can't get past the "cutting corners." Tissue-lined massage tables, curtain walls to maximize space and the on-the-side business of selling Chinese food.
If you're intrigued, you can read
these reviews.
I visited
Skin Fitness Day Spa in Fremont for a pedicure but, again, little things make all the difference. I received a nice pedicure but it wasn't in a massage chair. And where the hell was the head rest? I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try their massage at $135 a pop. (Armi, do you strongly recommend this place? If so, which masseuse?)
I am still on the search for a fantastic East Bay spa. Sigh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't gone back since my membership ran out. Yes, it is definitely cheaper than most places, but, you have to tolerate a few of their shortcomings (you already noticed most of them). My first time was nice. They took me to a "private" room - no tissue paper walls. I liked my masseuse because she was strong and I like it kinda hard. =) Anyway, I went there a few more times but I always had issues with the rude lobby staff, long waits, and the smell of grease.Patrick and I split the membership. We received 10 free massages each but only used about half of that. We got too busy during the weekends, BUT, if the place was great, I think we would've definitely taken advantage of our free massages! If you are looking for a quick fix, this may be a candidate. Pamering? Probably not. My mom still goes, but mostly to take care of a sore body. If you find a jewel, please let me know. Good luck!

demondoll said...

I myself experienced a spa where you had to wear these fugly pink surgical-type cpas on your head, also you had to be dang near nekkid in the water areas, and your massages are in the open for the delectation of all the other sufferers. I dunno, Sister- you may have to kick down for something nice! :) Nothing beats a nice spa day...

ElleDee said...

Armi - I had no idea you went to a Perfect Day Spa! I thought you went to Skin Fitness Day Spa! That's the one I thought you frequented. My bad.
Sister - You know, there were many details I left out because I didn't want people to get bored. It was actually my masseuse who put on a surgical mask. WTF?
I don't mind spending the money. Not b/c I have it but just b/c I EXPECT to kick down dollahs. The money isn't my biggest issue, it's location. The only one I really like right now is Watercourse Way in Palo Alto. But it just isn't accessible during the week. I want a place closer to where I live and work.
Before anyone suggests the Claremont Spa, I've heard enough bad things to know it isn't worth the money. I'm looking for an East Bay hidden gem, people!