Saturday, January 05, 2008

Oh, that's right. YOU need a ring, too!

The Man and I have received many exclamations that sound a lot like, "I can't believe you're done planning everything already!" As I've told everyone, I do not enjoy the planning process, I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment when things are checked off the list. We aren't completely done planning but the main bulk has been taken care of. And we definitely have loose ends here and there that need tying up.
Like getting The Man's ring. Whoopsies!
See, Jon doesn't wear ANY jewelry for two reasons. The main one is that he's in construction so jewelry proves to be a hazard if worn at work. He doesn't even wear a watch although he could. And I know that his reasoning is actually NOT bull$hit because I've been at a job (it was when I worked for an event management company) where a man caught his wedding ring on a piece of machinery and had to be taken to the emergency room because all the skin from that finger was scraped/pulled off.
For real, though.
The other reason is because he is a Seventh Day Adventist. Don't ask me about the details because all I know about it is that it's a religion and they don't wear jewelry. Call me shallow but that kind of was a deal breaker when I entertained the idea of converting.
Mama likes her some jewelry and ain't no one going to be telling ME that I can't have an engagement and wedding ring!
The Man looked online a while back at wedding rings to see what he wanted. He knew he did not want platinum because he didn't want me to spend a lot of money on something he would wear only on the weekends. (No argument from me!) But we also knew from seeing how my ring has held up that, while platinum is a strong metal, it is by no means scratch resistant. He found this metal called tungsten which was supposed to be very strong, stronger than titanium, and happened to also be the metal used for drill bits. I kind of liked that considering his work is in construction so a ring made of this material seems very him.
Anyway, we kept putting it off and putting off but with THREE AND A HALF months left to the big day, we decided today was the day that we would get his wedding ring. So today we went to the Shane Company to check out their wedding rings. We had gone there before to look at engagement rings and he liked the customer service (they don't work on commission so you don't feel like a carcass on a desert highway surrounded by vultures. You know what I mean.) We looked at the tungsten rings and he liked one style but it was mixed with platinum and Jon felt that drove the price up too high. And, just our luck, they didn't carry the exact same style with white gold. The rest of the styles weren't to his liking. The jeweler asked us if we would consider other metal and we said yes. He said he was glad to hear that. "Well, the great thing about tungsten and titanium is that they are very very strong and will hardly scratch. The bad thing about them is that because they are very very strong, they can never be re-sized once you purchase the ring so the size you buy is the size you must keep. Also, umm, most hospitals do not have cutters strong enough for Tungsten or Titanium. So if you get into an accident ..." he trails off and leaves my imagination to finish his statement.
WHAT?!?! That worried me out enough to say, "Hon, why don't we look at white gold?" I mean, can you imagine? What the F would happen if for some freak reason he was in a freak accident and they needed to cut off his ring because his hands are swelling up but they CAN'T?! So then the F what?!?!?! OK, so I'm working myself up but all these thoughts were racing in my mind. Off we went to the white gold wedding bands section.
Thankfully, The Man liked the selection of rings. He was searching for a ring with a satin finish so scratches wouldn't show up so easily. He also wanted something simple. We had some luck on our side, after all! He found one that he really liked -
We likee! (Been watching too much Sex & the City.)
I ordered the ring and we will be receiving it in a few weeks. I know he won't be wearing it much but I'm glad that he has one and it's one that he really likes. Lawd knows I love mine!
CHECK. One more thing off checked off our list. Now we just have to order his Barong for the wedding.
And, of course, get those damn RSVPs from people ....

8 comments:

mrs. A said...

Yay LD! His ring is so nice and classic. Glad that things are going well for you with all the planning that goes into a destination wedding... :)

p.s. Happy New Year!

Veronica said...

Oh cool...love it. Albert wanted a plain one too. I got him one with itty bitty-must squint- to see diamonds. hehe More like diamond spit. hehe

He really just wanted a band.

Veronica said...

yup, just soda and the mix. Albert says the cake taste funny. I don't think he's used to SUPER moist cake. I guess people use all kind of diet soda. They mix like diet orange soda with strawberry mix...all kinds of crazy combos.

demondoll said...

Oooh, me likey! That's a very nice ring:-D
I admire how organized you've been Sister! Whew!

Kim said...

This may be too late of a suggestion ;0) but one of my groomsmen just got a band tattooed on his ring finger because he works with machinery and isn't allowed to wear jewelry. The tattoo is his wife's name (one of my bridesmaids). He said it didn't take very long and wasn't very expensive. Maybe something for Jon to consider? Plus, I don't think it would count as jewelry, so it would work with his religion. :0)

Couch potato said...

I like that ring that is the kind that I wanted to get Alonzo they are very nice. But he didn't wanted one that looked like a white gold version of the lord of the rings.

ElleDee said...

Aww, you guys are so nice! I'm glad you like the ring too ;) (Tater, I laughed at the Lord of the Rings comment even though I don't remember what the ring looked like.) Kim, The Man has no tatoos and doesn't plan on getting one. But thanks for the idea! I had thought of that too. You know, Pamela & Tommy had done that. It didn't work so hot for them but I still think it's a nifty idea.

Kim said...

I haven't ruled out Ryan and I doing it at some point. Our friends' look really cool! Anywho, you guys picked out a really nice ring. :) I remember the ring-shopping process with Ryan was hard too. Mainly because he doesn't really like to wear jewelry, and was very picky about what he wanted. But he finally found something he liked, and that didn't break the bank. ;)