Tuesday, January 01, 2008

In the blink of an eye

Two weeks have passed and it's already 2008! Good lor'.
Christmas was fantastic this last year. Putting up decorations really made a difference. I even invited people over. Seriously, I had different groups of people over the house during the holiday season and entertained. I wouldn't necessarily call them dinner parties but the fact that I entertained is pretty crazy. (I am happy to report that everyone treated my toilet with respect - part of the many phobias that can be read here if one doesn't understand my fear of having people over.)
Anyway, back to the decorations. It wasn't like Christmas threw up in my home but it truly made a difference. I loved the little tree lit up first thing in the morning. OK, an "aww" moment - Jon wakes up before me during the week so he would turn on the Christmas lights on the tree in the bedroom so it would be one of the first things I would see when I woke up. I loved the smell of Christmas trees in the house. I adored seeing all the wreaths, christmas candles, garland, and greeting cards on my curly card holder (which you can buy here. No, I don't get a cut but I think the artist's story is cute and I like the idea of supporting artists.)
Then my sister, BIL & nephew came for Christmas which was a-w-e-s-o-m-e. They were a lot of fun and made the holidays even better. Unfortunately, I got sick and I am pretty useless when I'm sick. I just want to sleep so I didn't get as much quality time as I would have liked. But I was able to enjoy Christmas and hang out with the family. Then Sister planned a little Spa Day with some friends which was very, very nice. I've always liked this particular spa but, unfortunately, hadn't gotten my money's worth with their massages. Until now ;) Nothing like a little Burke Williams lovin', good company, Santana Row still decorated with Christmas cheer and yummy food to make a day spectacular.
Now it's the new year. Sister left a few days ago and decorations have gone down (boo!) except for the little Christmas tree in the bedroom. I'm waiting until the Friday pick up. But the other christmas tree has been put outside and everything else Christmas-y in the house has been packed away. I am a little bit sad but I know that they'll all come back out in 11 1/2 months :)
I also realized that our wedding is in exactly 3 1/2 months. Whoa. Just around the corner. Guess I should put in a vacation request NOW. Guess I should also be hittin' the gym and staying away from everything that is tasty. Damn. But both of us want to lose weight before the wedding and it's seriously and literally down to crunch time. I'm still very put off by the people (who shall remain nameless because it will come back to bite me in the ass if I start naming names even though they will probably never read this blog but I'm still too chicken since these people will be in my life forever) who haven't sent in their RSVP or even bother to contact us. And if you've ever planned a big social event or a wedding, you know what I'm talking about. I just keep telling myself that everything is going to be OK. And my Sister & mom have assured me that there is a certain percentage that the caterers cushion for the assholes that haven't given us a definitely answer yet. Obviously, I'm not quite over it yet and a constant reminder why I don't like to plan events. I also plan to do a little payback when they get married and hem and haw over my decision to attend until the very last minute of their big day. Anyway, as I was writing, we're giving the caterers the definite number and they will be able to add a few people if that's what we will end up needing to do.
But (and my Sister also knows this) I keep telling myself that this shindig is about Jon and me. That what matters most is we are there and that I need to remember how happy I am to be with him. Which is easy until a family member of his or mine tell us that so-and-so thinks they're going but they're not sure and they'll let us know when. Maybe.
So yes, there are many things I'm looking forward to in 2008. I get to see my sister at the end of the month! Then in a few more months we're off to get hitched. Sure, I want to do the other things that I promise to do every year like lose weight. That has proven to be a toughie. But I'm praying for mono so those 15 lbs should come off easy. Kidding. Sort of. I have so much to look forward to and am excited to continue our journey together for yet another year! I've always said how much I love our little circle of bloggers because it's helped me stay close and become closer to many people. I wish all of my friends and family a healthy, happy and prosperous 2008! With lots of love, L

14 comments:

demondoll said...

I loved the way you decorated your home- so pretty! And the pups were as cute as ever. Thank you for making Christmas so nice- we all love coming down to visit!
Oooh, and the cookies were yum. Yumyumyum.
I wish for another spa day... ah well. I'll happily take knitting sessions!!!

Kim said...

Happy new year! So yes, we had the same problem with some people not sending in their RSVPs. Basically, what you have to do is e-mail or call them (calling is probably better because it puts them on the spot) and tell them you need to give a final head count to the caterer, so you need an answer. If they don't give an answer, just politely tell them you have to put them down as a no. And guess what, we still had people who RSVP'd "yes" not show up! I don't think you'll have that problem with a destination wedding, though. But yeah, we ended up paying for like 6 people who didn't come...and never even gave a reason or apology afterwards for not making it!

ElleDee said...

D-Doll - see you in less than 20 days!!! Whooohoooo
Kim - I hold loooong grudges. Long. So I fear that some people will be on my hitlist for a good long time.
Rock'nmama - You let us know, don't you worry! You are NOT an "ass wipe." Hehehehe

demondoll said...

Ok, I'm still giggling at all the references to bunghole!

I am so taking Kim's apporach on these next calls-

Veronica said...

You know something...I hold loooong grudges too. It sucks. I also called everyone who didn't RSVP and some still didn't show. grrr...I'm getting all pissed again.
We had some ass wipe family members show up with more than they RSVPed for. Ugh!! Those times were awful.

Geez. I'm a bitter bride.

I know you prob. want sister to yourself...but someday you should have us all over. We can all go out to dinner and play board games. YA!! Just a thought. :D

ElleDee said...

See? I have a friend who got married in 2001 and she's STILL pissed off at people that didn't show up. I fear that will be me.
I would LOVE to have y'all over! Sounds like the next time Sister comes, I should be sending out an invite for a sleepover!!:D Unfortunately, there will not be Christmas decorations but I guarantee there will be plenty of food and drink!

demondoll said...

Are you going to yelp your new view of BW?

Couch potato said...

I agree planning is a pain in the ass. I hated having to call people because I can be a bit rude. "so are you coming or what?"
Like its so hard for those people to get that you put a self-addressed stamped envelope in the invitation but they still don't get it. Yes I am getting upset all over again too.

Couch potato said...

umm, you did get mine back too. right?

ElleDee said...

Yes, Tater :) I got yours back. You, too, are NOT an ass wipe. (Thanks for making me laugh.)

Veronica said...

hehe Tater I was very RUDE to one of Albert's cousins. Oooops it was one that I would actually met and like. But still! How damn hard is it to call, email, text, send back the dame envelope. There are so many options now...I just don't get it!

Kim said...

Yeah, and they get to keep the stamp! So basically, you're paying them 41 cents to do nothing!

ElleDee said...

THANK YOU. THANK YOU for validating my frustration, anger and just plain pissy-ness. I know people don't mean to be rude, they're just being thoughtless. But by golly I think they should get a taste of their own medicine. Argh!!!!

demondoll said...

I just don't remember getting that angry about the rsvp's... However, this was my second wedding! (She and Daddy had a civil wedding) And mom was in complete charge of my first. I think there may have been 200 paople. I think I knew 35 of them?