Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Complete thoughts? Pshhhhhht!

Well, random complete thoughts - yes. Thought-out paragraphs - a big fat NO.
I loved visiting Sister, WGD and The Boy. I'm sure that having a guest is not the most relaxing thing for them but I was plenty relaxed. We knit, we played, we worked out ... we even went out for some drinks! I love where they live and completely understand why travel magazines tote it as a resort community (but I do love the granola and boondocks of it all, too!!!)
I'm frustrated. I've been working out a lot more and keeping a food diary and haven't lost a pound. And nope, my clothes are looser. To make matters worse, The Man and I measure our waists and we both were s-h-o-c-k-e-d. Talk about facing up after being in denial - "Oh, these jeans are a tad snug but I'm sure my waist has changed only a centimeter." Riiiiight.
Despite being frustrated, I am still a happy person. I am very excited to be getting married. I am almost as excited to be on vacation for three weeks! I haven't taken that long of a vacation while working since ... never! I've either been in between jobs or in school. I feel a tad bit naughty.
Been struggling with the whole name change thing but think I've finally made a decision. Professionally, I'd like to stick with my maiden name. I haven't asked them, though, if I will be forced to change it since I'll be changing it on my SS# and driver's license. But I'd like to be able to keep it my maiden name at work. Everywhere else, I will be Mrs. Ramirez. I'm hoping that being sorted alphabetically by last name is a practice that has been left at school. Random, right? To go from A to R may be a bit jarring, though. I liked getting whatever it was over with first!
The Man just bought his barong for our wedding. (Why he was measuring his waist and had inspired me to measure mine - I'm such a dumb ass.) A friend of mine didn't want her husband to wear one because she thought it looks like a doily. After she pointed that out, I kind of agree. But I still think it's beautiful because it's part of our culture. Plus he will be so much more comfortable than wearing a suit!
I still love my job. It's challenging but I am very happy. I grit my teeth when I say, "Money isn't everything" but I really do believe it.
I'm sad about Heath Ledger. I wasn't his number one fan but I admired his work. He was in one of my favorite movies, 10 Things I Hate About You. Ironically, I think it was his least favorite. Anyway, I suppose it's just yet another example that money isn't everything. But it's not an example that I'm happy to display as proof. He was a dad - poor kid.
I'm getting married in eleven weeks. Unbelievable. I know it's life changing yet there won't be much that will be different in my day-to-day routine. Yet I'm so excited and know that it means so much.

8 comments:

Kim said...

Well, on the name-change front, perhaps I can advise. I have finally finished legally changing my name (driver's license, SS, bank accounts, credit cards, etc.), and I will be changing it at work so there is no conflict with paycheck and bank, etc. But I'm still keeping my maiden name in my work e-mail address, in the paper, and on my voicemail and business cards. Much less confusion for readers and co-workers. I feel it is the best of both worlds. :) Maybe you can do the same?

I don't know why I suddenly felt I had a brain fart while doing thank-you cards for the wedding...I didn't put Martinez on the card, did I? I swear I knew it's Ramirez!

Veronica said...

wow...you make me feel guilty. Just a tad. I will NEVER change my name. hehe I just said never...great!

I hate that. The whole woman changes her name...crap. haha! I have no idea why. It seems like such a drag.

Yeah, I was sad about Heath Ledger too. Poor baby.

Oh, and 11 weeks. Damn the time is just flying!
Are you guys planning on having babies soon after?

demondoll said...

I kept my maiden name for my unions, they make it easy because you are allowed AKAs.
Not 47s, just aliases. Not like Jennifer Garner (Affleck), well mebbe.
Just not her AKA47s. By which I mean actual firearms, not biceps. Which are still alarmingly rockin'.

demondoll said...

I myself LOVE spendind whatever time I may with you! I love when you visit :-)

My scale is angry.

ElleDee said...

I really should be out the door but had to comment on the comments ... isn't it interesting that the topic of name change causes quite a stir with women? I'm glad. Because it is a sacrifice that we have to make, not the men. It's so outdated. But it means so much to him which, honestly, is the only reason I'm doing it. I get that it will be difficult having kids with a different last name but whatever. The main reason I'm doing it is because it's a huge deal for him. But keeping my maiden name at work does make me feel very happy.
And thank jeebus he has a normal (and ethnic because I love me some ethnic) last name like Ramirez. That eased my mind a little ;)

Veronica said...

Is the man having a Bachlor party? Oh, and tell the man, as of Monday, Sam became a father at 23 yrs old. Caraazy....he weighed 9 1/2 pounds!! His mom ate like no tomorrow. Cause she is a short and that was big. Anywho, they gave her a c-section... The name is Noble...freaky!

ElleDee said...

No bachelor party. (Don't think his brother will be throwing anything.) Maybe the best friends can go fishing or something? What does A-Dizzle think? Are you and I going to have to plan something?? Boys!
PS: congrats to your bro-in-law. NINE POUNDS?!?! I'm shivering and crossing my legs now.

Veronica said...

hehe

I think so. I told Albert...the man wants to hang out (kinda like a bachlor party) he looks at me with THAT face. I'm like...uh no butthead...it has to be clean. NO smelly-ass whores allowed. heheh
He was all, oh, what should we do? I said hmmm...paintball?