Thursday, January 05, 2006

A few days before my Power Week

I'm bloated, my face is breaking out and I'm eating EVERYTHING like it's going to expire at midnight. TMI? Too damn bad. (I forgot to mention that I'm occasionally irritable.)

I dislike the week before and the first couple beginning days. Why? Because I eat until my belly feels tight and you can thump my tummy like watermelon. I break out like I'm a teenager with pimples that are large and unpopable (gross!) Worse, it's the time when I probably beat myself up the most about my looks, think of things to worry about in my relationship with The Man, get a little more sensitive and, basically, torture myself. But at least I don't have mood swings. (I went through three types of birth control pills until I was able to nip THAT in the bud.)

Anyhoo, other than pre-Power Week, I'm doing pretty well. I'm STILL trying to figure out how to post pictures that are unclickable so that I can post pictures of The Man and me from the New Year and any future pics. So if you know, let me know!

Oh! I finished "knit in the round." For knitting novices like me or knitting virgins ("Why, hellloo there, come here often?") that means knitting in a spiral instead of back and forth, like a typewriter. Typically, people knit with two straight needles. When I first started knitting, I was automatically introduced to bamboo circular needles-my favorite. So here is how it looked in the beginning:
I'm just knitting around and around, no purling necessary b/c knit in the round makes a stockinette stitch.

(If you aren't into knitting, dammit, just pretend you care and entertain me. On a similar note, it's funny to see The Man accept my knitting. Before, I think he was scared I was 26-going-on-70. But then he got smart and realized that this new found hobby leaves the remote control unprotected and up for grabs. Yes, I knit during football games, basketball games, and home improvement shows.)

This is where the $hit gets complicated. Or at least LOOKS complicated. I am now decreasing to make the crown of the hat. I have to introduce the double pointed needles (four=3 holding the stitches to make the triangle and 1 to knit the other 3 with) and remove the circular needles. I was concentrating so I didn't even think about how crazy it looked until I removed the circular needles. For crap's sake, look at it! It looks like three knitters got high and came up with a brilliant idea to knit one hat together.

So this is the inside of the hat. There was no need for a seam. The decrease is pretty fast (the pattern is from Stitch 'n Bitch) and then bam! I pull it together, tie and knit the ends.

When I use girlie colors like this, I like to tell The Man that the piece is for him. Before, I would get this look of terror from him b/c he knows how hard I work and that loving me means wearing the fu*king hat. But he's on to me now and calls my bluff. Darn.

Pretty bleepin' dope, yo.

12 comments:

demondoll said...

Oooh, pretty! I love that hat. I'm waiting to see if book comes into Diva Yarn, cuz I have to buy more stuff for WGD's scarf. What size needles did you buy?
Am in my glorious power week. Some bizatch from up here drew me in her orbit- I used to be on the 12th! Grrr. I'll see your acne and raise you a migraine.

Just got your 26 going on 30- Ha!

demondoll said...

that one pic looks like a sea anemone but with big nasty teeth! heehee

ElleDee said...

I used size 9 needles b/c that's all I had with a small circumference. I now know that I will never go below 11 if I can help it. Make the project go by so much faster!

Veronica said...

Okay, nevermind I don't wanna learn. That looks way to fucking hard!
And let me tell you somethething sister, there is no way the hubby can put up with another hobby of mine.
Oh sure he's okay now, but just wait I can hear it now, "You blog, scrapbook, and knit. What about me wha, wha, wha!"

No thanks, that's the last thing I need.

Unknown said...

That's beautiful! Perhaps I should jump on the knitting bandwagon?

Couch potato said...

yo that is dope I think you got skills, I wish I could do anything that is crafty but instead I am just a big-o tater.

Couch potato said...

Why don't you get rid of your power week with a magic pill that makes it go away for months at a time.

Veronica said...

Karaway- nice, real nice ;)

BpSnake (PJ Daddy) said...

I'd have to agree with demondoll -- it DOES look like a rare species of sealife that should be displayed in an aquarium tank (and I'd be one to know, right?) :-)

ElleDee said...

It's not hard, Pooks! Plus, I knitted scarves the entire first year I learned how to knit and was perfectly content. Tater, I think you're going to have to pick up this hobby. You too, Tel!
BP & DDoll - I would have never thought that! But yes, it looks like a scary sea anemone :P
Yes, Karaway, you used "hella" correctly. I appreciate that :)
MsLips, you crochet me something, I'll knit you something. Deal?!

Veronica said...

you were up at 1:11 girl...that's late. But it was a friday...

ElleDee said...

Ah...hmm ... welllll ... I wasn't passed out. But I wasn't sober either *impish grin*