Friday, January 13, 2006

Lulu, where you at?

I had to work last Sunday and will have to work the next two coming up. But I don't mind because I get three Fridays off!! It's so nice. Even though I'm working five days, it feels like I'm being naughty and cutting work. I can run errands and it's not nearly as crowded as it is on the weekend. I get to catch up on my favorite weekday shows that I normally don't get to see (Starting Over is getting a little bit much for me but I adore Kelly on Regis & Kelly!)

As I sit in one of them, I decided to write about...

LULU'S FAVORITE PLACES

E-On Cafe. Not only does place hook you up with free high speed wireless connection, but they have delicious lattes and sandwiches. And even when I didn't bring my laptop b/c I brought The Man instead, I still enjoy the place. Although I want it to be successful (it's fairly new) I fear that it will become crazy crowded. But until then, I will trek out in the rain or on a day off and enjoy my local cafe. It's also the place I end up viewing Karaway's oh-so-colorful media clips. Crazy girl :)


Pinkies Nail Salon. YES, I have girlie tendencies! I don't have acrylic nails (I'm not a hater I'm just stating the truth) but I love a good pedicure. And I used to have to shlep my a$s to the city - a good 45 minutes away!- to get a nice pedi. Why? I don't ask for much. I just want my nail salon to be a clean place where I can relax and not worry about getting some crazy foot infection from lack of good hygeine practies. (There was this huge news story in San Jose about nail salons spreading bacteria from their foot spas. Ew.)
Anyhow, this place bring me so much joy. I can't even begin to tell you. Not only do they have massage chairs but the manicurists (well, my favorite two) give BOMB A$S foot massages. For a few more bucks, they will give you a 10-minute foot massage. I indulge in this when I'm super stressed out. Pinkies is super cute, clean, trendy and affordable. I love, love, love this place.

Bean Street Cafe. (OK, this picture and the web link is actually the owners' other coffee shop but I couldn't find a picture of Bean Street. Whatever, it looks similar, dammit.) You are going to think I'm such a hippie but I love to go to this cafe after power yoga. Yah, yah, yah, green tea's great for me, choke full of antioxidants, lowers my blood pressure and ends world hunger. But if I want to be a pleasant person contributing positively to society, my bum desparately needs a latte. The Greek owners are so cute and sweet. My N0-Fun latte (non fat sugar free vanilla latte) is delicious here. Unless they have a newbie worker. Then I have to add a lot of cinnamon and give them three weeks to get better.

----------------------------------------------------------

OK, so I seriously thought about including my favorite yarn store but I think people would boycott my blog from boredom. I would have included my hair salon that I've been with for seven years but (1) they don't have a Web site and (2) I love my hair salon most out of all my favorite places. While I don't believe that my blog has any significant power or influence, if I posted about them and then they didn't have the time to book me for hair appointments, I would have to drop kick some a$s. I've been with my hair stylist longer than my boyfriend. Before her, I was a victim of jacked up haircuts and dim-witted hair stylists (For crap's sake, my hair is straight. Yet I've somehow been lucky enough to encounter many a hair flunkies who seem utterly confused by straight hair. WTF?)

I also used to have favorite bars and nightclubs but those days are over. Thus, the yarn store. So, from your Suburban gal, here are a few of my favorite places.

10 comments:

demondoll said...

I want to go to all those places! I especially want to go to Pinkie's, please? The cofee place- I'm always game for a cuppa...
I like your hairwoman, but do you think mine will hack me awful I visit yours???

demondoll said...

Nothing wrong w/ suburbs. Although I miss some of the funkier neighborhoods. Even the winos. (There was one at the Powell St. station that I bonded with. I worried when I moved to LA. I hope he's doin' ok.)
and I really miss Silverlake/Los Feliz...

BpSnake (PJ Daddy) said...

Yeah I hear ya, Lulu -- having time off during the "traditional" work week is VERY nice. I get so much more done during the day when everyone else is at work/school. Your favorite places sound awesome. Granted, I won't be getting pedicures anytime soon but I'd like to visit E-On Cafe one day. Free wi-fi? Need not say more!

demondoll said...

Oh, come on, Snake- I've seen lots of guys get mani/pedi's ;)
Actually the only guy I ever saw was in sales, and he was getting a buff only. And this was in LA, where anything goes...

Couch potato said...

I heard Bernie Mac gets mani/pedi's all the time. He is manly :)

ElleDee said...

The Man was a sport and got a pedi w/ me and my friend, Regina, a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, we went to a mediocre nail salon and he was disappointed. He thought she was going to put some elbow grease into it but she was just "eh." Don't know if I can convince him to foot the money for a better one. Dammit, yes, that was an unintentional pun.

Veronica said...

hehehe....girl....

demondoll said...

WGD has gone to spa with me- Glen Ivy Hot Springs. It was yummy. All this talk of pampering...

I think I need an afternoon at Pinkie's w/ Sister!

ElleDee said...

You're on sister. I think you'll like Pinkies. I'll make sure that we get my two favorite manicurists. My friend was sad that one of them went to Vietnam for vacation. (I know the big joke is that Koreans have cornered the market for nail salons but I'm telling you here in Northern California, the Vietnamese have claimed the mani/pedi craze for their own. I have no complaints, they are gooooooooood. And before anyone claims that I'm generalizing, go to the hospital. That's where you'll find MY people. Shoot, go to the right one and you'll find AL!)

Veronica said...

hehe...Yes I agree.
The Vietnamese own them here too. My trusty "Royal Nails" at least. The Middle Easterners own all 711's and Subways...and my people...my people they make your lawn look great and pick all the fruits and veggies around here.

Hey, that's including the Pookie daddy.