Friday, January 27, 2006

The story about Butter

Picture it, San Francisco, Mary Ward Hall, 1999 ....

I was living in the dorms my first year at SFSU. My roommate, Meghan, was also a junior and we lived on a floor that was not only co-ed but mixed with freshmen, sophomores and juniors.

Our room looked a like this, except with a much narrower space between the beds. No, our dorm was not this spacious but the set up was the same:


Our furniture wasn't quite as classy as this, though.

So, imagine that there was half as much walking space between the two beds and definitely no room for a night stand. That was my dorm room. Our beds also folded in so they served as couches during the day. If you've ever lived in the dorms, you probably know that people prop their doors open during the day so people know that you're in and available to socialize.

I was sitting on my bed (left) and my roommate was sitting at her desk (right.) Our dormmate, Kelly, walked in. Kelly, a little socially inept, just plopped right down on Meghan's bed without asking and was probably telling me about her terrible day at work or class. I don't remember. All I know is that Meghan got up from her desk and had to squeeze between the beds and us in order to get to her closet. As she walked by, Kelly said to us, "Do you smell that?"

Meghan, at her closet, sniffed the room. "No."

I sniffed the air. "You mean the buttered popcorn? I think someone's popping popcorn."

Kelly looked at Meghan and said, "Are you on your period?"

Meghan, not sure if this was a joke, asked "No, why?"

Kelly, dead serious, "When you walked by, I smelled period."

I thought Meghan was pretty nice not to smack Kelly. I mean, Kelly was sitting on her bed as she insulted her. Seven years later, I still vividly remember this incident.

I recently told my coworkers about this and, sometimes, we ask each other if we have buttered popcorn.

And that is the story of "butter."

9 comments:

BpSnake (PJ Daddy) said...

Uhhh, I think Orville Redenbacher is spinning in his grave right now...

demondoll said...

I don't get the connection between buttered popcorn and period.
Buttery coochie? Popcorn frou? I'm at a loss.
Kelly needed smacked.

Auntie Sassy said...

Kelly would have been rolling down the freaking hallway had she said that to me while sitting on my bed...especially if she was right.

Veronica said...

Ewww...I'm with Ddoll I'm lost, how does butter go with period?

Did her stinky twat smell like butter? If so, no more popcorn for me, cause now I have a really gross visual.

Em, yeah, thanks! :)~

ElleDee said...

I guess what I'm saying is that period may (or may not) smell like butter. I'm neither encouraging or discouraging you to perform a sniff test to draw your own conclusion. That's on YOU. Just make sure you can still enjoy popcorn ;)
I just wanted to give you the 411 on the "butter" reference. So there it is.

demondoll said...

Aw, he11. I love popcorn, but right now... ew.

Veronica said...

I miss the rent-free days...of living at home with moms and pops, but then again, rent beats having a curfew. :(

ElleDee said...

I have to admit, if a gal bust out of left field and asked me if I was on my period b/c I smelled like it, I think I would be at a loss for words. Unfortunately. I would terribly offended and pissed five minutes later but I don't think I could react quick enough. You're all right, it was f*ckin' rude! No, I'm not friends with Kelly. I have no idea what happened to her after that year.

I'm sorry to ruin popcorn for you folks. I'm sure you'll be able to shake this story off in a couple of days.

Anonymous said...

Buttered popcorn was what my sister-in-law and mother always said my baby's breastfed poo smelled like. And they described it as the consistency of seedy mustard. I finally had to beg them not to use food references when talking about poop.