Friday, July 06, 2007

So tempting

I had all these big plans for my three days off. Five, if you include the weekend!
But I had this weird stomach ache that would NOT go away.
So I was laid up in bed, forced to watch non-cable shows. Or be on the internet. I chose internet.
I am SO tempted right now to join MySpace. I checked it out and there are so many people I know on it and it would be fun to reconnect. Oh. So. Tempting!!!!
And then I remembered why I joined Blogger.
I am a defunct Friendster user. It used to be fun. I spent hours, and I mean HOURS, finding people, reading people, and finding and reading even more people.
I added people that weren't really "friends" but I guess that's why it's called "friendster." Kinda friends but not.
I think I had a 100+ friends by the time I left. And if you know me, I don't have a lot of patience so there's no way that I can call over a 100 people true friends. I left because it got to be too much. Obviously we write for ourselves but we also write because we know someone is reading. Well, Friendster just got to be too much. Too much of a hook-up zone (and that's OK but I wasn't trying to hook-up), too many people that I didn't really know connected to me and I didn't want them to be (why that bothers me, I'm not sure but it does) and too many people that I realized I didn't really want to know my business. How could I be truthful if I worried people were judging me? I mean, my friends don't judge. But how could I really "put it out there" if I worried what people would think? Sure, I can say, "I don't care what people think" but I sort of do!
Part of me thinks I have an addictive side. That's why I won't purchase a PS3 or Wii (that's how it's spelled, right?) because my ass would always be in front of the TV. It is a HUGE reason why I fight with The Man to not get cable. I love me some Lifetime, MTV, VH1, and whatever else plays TV shows from the 80s and 90s. But that's beside the point.
I just spend an hour checking out old friends, sorority sisters, and *gasp* even my ex-boyfriend to see what they're up to and what they look like now. I think I just qualified to be called a stalker. I'm too inquisitive (nosy) to have self-control. Poor Piko and Pili will wonder why their mama doesn't play with them anymore. The Man will have to talk to himself. He already doesn't care for Blogger because of how much time I spend perusing!
Please, don't think I'm judging the MySpace users. I think just about ALL my friends are on it. If not, then 98%. I think it's so cool that you can connect to so many people from the past.
But, for me, that's the curse of it, too.
So I'm going to step back, slowly, and walk away from MySpace. Tempting, like a beautiful but expensive handbag that I don't need.
I am jealous of the music capabilities, though. Anyone know how I can put some jams on this here blog?

6 comments:

C said...

whatever...myspace is a waste of space now. I've been a member since omg..probably over 5 years now and i really dont care. I only keep it to keep in touch with hard to find ppl. back in the day.

Plus I've been stalked on myspace and the ONLY cool guilty pleasure about myspace is stalking the ex's. HA.

You know you can always use my myspace acct to "peruse". just ask me.

demondoll said...

I am on the myspace sometimes. But I can't get a hold of la Pooks

White Ghost Devil said...

I'd like to get rid of cable/satellite, but The Boy loves the Discovery Channel, and would be sad at Daddy if we couldn't watch How It's Made.

Veronica said...

ah...yes the myspace...not so addicting for me...there are no ex's of mine on there..I looked already ;)

Ddoll-look me up under mascoolie@yahoo.com (when searching)
I used hubby's old email account ;)
You can always add me if you have an account...cause I'm blocked. No one can see my profile unless I add you. :) Keeps the crazy ex's out! hahaha

ElleDee said...

But what about adding music to my blogger page, hmm?
C, thanks for the offer but I'm cool. If I get bored again, I'll try to be more productive. Like visit tmz.com, perezhilton.com or some other smut site ;)
Sister, what do you find when you are visiting myspace?
WGD, cable is addicting. I miss TLC and Lifetime. Damn those channels that air Golden Girls. I love Golden Girls.
Vero, Well aren't you little Miss Self Control! I'm kidding. But seriously, I have no self control. I looked up old friends and classmates. Then I moved to old enemies and exs. Danger, Danger!

Kim said...

Dude, I love the cable for Ion, which plays Mama's Family and Wonder Years reruns. Huzzah! Also, I am on myspace and love it for the simple fact that it makes it easy to keep in touch with people all in one place. I exercise strict rules for myself, however. I don't add people I don't know. And I keep my profile and blogs private so that only my friends can see/read them. I am occasionally guilty of myspace stalking, but after a while it gets boring...especially now that everyone is setting their profiles to private. ;0)

mogbagz